Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St. Andrew
In the centre of Tredunnock village.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Possibly dating back to C12 but first definitely recorded in 1254. There are two apparently Norman lancets in the chancel. Most of the surviving datable features are C15 or C16 Perpendicular, the stops on the doorway suggest a later C16 date for the porch, but the base of the tower could be C14. The bells and the font date from 1662 and the top of the tower with the belfry openings probably also dates from then. There are some Victorian fittings, possibly dating with the 1877 vestry, but a restoration is not recorded. The church was restored in 1910 (tablet), architect Arthur Grove, and there has been little change since.
Built of only very roughly squared red sandstone rubble, Welsh slate roofs with red ridge tiles. Nave with south porch (it is said to have once had a north aisle, now gone), lower weeping chancel with north vestry, west tower.
The nave has a 3-light Perpendicular window with square traceried head. Large gabled porch with a relatively narrow 3-centred head archway, coped gable with cross, lancets in the returns. Steeply pitched roof with coped east gable. North wall has projection for rood loft mostly converted to a window in 1910, and some disturbance in the walling to indicate the previous aisle.
The chancel has a priest's door with 3-centred head and a possibly Early English lancet in the south wall and another on the north. East window is a 3-light Perpendicular one with cusped lights, plain gable above. Small lean-to vestry covers most of the north wall.
Small, squat west tower with a strong batter which covers almost the full width of the nave. Three stage with a 2-pointed arch west door, lancets above to the ringing chamber and paired louvred openings to the belfry, corbelled out parapet, low pyramid roof with weathervane.
The interior is of plain character with a wide, nearly semi-circular chancel arch which has three continuous chamfers. The wide, but much more pointed tower arch has three continuous hollow chamfers. Pointed waggon roof with ties and plaster panels between the ribs to the nave, close boarded one with raised ribs to chancel. Stair and corbels only remaining indication of rood and loft. Roman memorial slab on north wall of nave, to Julius Julianus of 2nd Augustan Legion (attributed to A.D. 100) stationed at Carleon. C17 communion table and altar rails; octagonal font dated 1662. One C16 bell and five of 1662. The pews are probably 1910 by Arthur Grove but are in a pretty C17 style.
The porch contains a Portland stone description by Eric Gill
'TO THE GLORY OF GOD
This Parish Church of
S Andrew Tredunnoc
was restored in the year 1910
Charles Thelwall Salusbury - Rector'
The porch roof has its original arched braces and moulded purlins.
Reason for designation
Included and highly graded as a very attractive and well preserved medieval church with a number of good features.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]