Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Cyngar
Prominently-sited on a raised circular Celtic Llan in the centre of the village.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Medieval parish church on an earlier site; mentioned in 1254. Of double-naved type, the S vessel is in essence early medieval, though this was later extended both to the E and W. The arcade, N aisle and fine W tower are Perpendicular, the latter probably being added on the eve of the Reformation (traditionally by either the second or third Earl of Derby). Of the early church a section of Romanesque chevron moulding survives, built into the fabric of the tower, and a fragmentary Early English double piscina remains at the E end of the S aisle. The N wall was partially rebuilt in the first half C19 and its windows, together with those on the S side, were widened and given new tracery during a restoration of 1859. The church was again restored by J Oldrid Scott 1884-5 and in 1967 a new N porch was added.
Double-naved parish church with large battlemented W tower. Of local freestone and sandstone rubble construction, with the tower of squared and dressed freestone blocks; sandstone dressings throughout. Slate roofs with sandstone ridge tiles and gable parapets with moulded kneelers, copings and surmounting gable crosses. The tower is of four stages on a double-chamfered plinth and with stepped angle buttresses; moulded stringcourse to first and fourth levels, the latter continued as a label-course over a large pointed-arched bell window on each face. These have 3-light intersecting tracery, a later adaptation; further small, square or rectangular stair lights appear on the S and W sides. Sandstone battlements with chamfered crenellations and simply-moulded band below with plain gargoyles to corners. Shallow-pitched pyramidal slate roof with iron weathervane. The ground-floor stage has a fine Tudor-arched moulded entrance to W, with C19 ribbed and studded doors. Above this is a first floor 3-light tracery window, pointed-arched as before, with a hollow-chamfered label continued as a moulded band; to the R a small arched stair light with returned and moulded label.
The N and S nave walls each have three large C19 leaded tracery windows, of 2 or 3 lights. The latter wall has two sections of mill wheel incorporated at ground level, together with a blocked opening at the western end. To the R is a further blocked, pointed-arched entrance, with a C19 stepped buttress to its R. This incorporates part of a medieval sepulchral slab with simple inscised Celtic cross, probably a C14 fragment. The upper section of the buttress continues as a (now reduced) octagonal chimney. The N wall has a modern stone porch/vestry addition towards the W. Early C16 Perpendicular E windows, both with pointed-arched heads and flanking stepped buttresses; that to the S chamber has 4 lights and that to the N has 5.
Twin-aisled interior with continuous nave and chancel. The S aisle is the earliest and is narrower than the N. This has a fine 7-bay arched-braced collar truss roof of c1500; trefoil and quatrefoil cusped truss apexes with two tiers of double windbraces. The N aisle has a plain C19 bolted collar truss and king post roof. The aisles are separated by a 4-bay Perpendicular arcade with octagonal piers. These have moulded bases and abaci and shallow pointed arches. Parquet floor with red/black quarry tiled pavements; plain C19 oak pews. High ceiling to the lower, open stage of the tower, with stopped-chamfered beams. Here there are six steps up to the nave floor level and a tall pointed inner arch leading onto the N aisle; this with moulded and chamfered jambs and abaci similar to those of the nave arcade. C19 Perpendicular-style octagonal font beneath, with blind quatrefoils to each face bearing Evangelist symbols and foliate carvings to spandrels; on an octagonal base. Within the arcade spandrels of the N aisle are two large C16 wall painting cartouches containing post-Reformation texts in Black Letter Gothic script; further detached fragment to W end on wall. Fine stone carved Royal Arms on the N wall, with arms and initials of George III, though (curiously) dated 1825; in a moulded and painted stone frame. Fine second-quarter or mid C17 octagonal pulpit to the E end of the N aisle; on a moulded stone base. This has geometric decoration to each main face and fluted Ionic pilasters to the narrower sides; carved strapwork frieze and moulded and dentilated cornice. Perpendicular oak chancel screen of 1884 with open tracery and panelled dado; complex pierced tracery and brattishing to beam. Contemporary choirstalls in similar style. Perpendicular-style retable in 4 panelled sections flanking a 5-panel raised central section; blind tracery as before. The screen is returned around to separate it off from the eastern part of the S aisle; arcaded tracery to 6-part open screen as before. The chancel and the sanctuary are stepped up and have late C19 polychromed tiles.
The E end of the S aisle was occupied by the Trevor (of Plas Teg) chapel. Here there are two fine funerary monuments to Sir John Trevor (d.1629) and his wife Dame Margaret (d.1643). Both have Jacobean architectural frames with corbelling and moulded cornices and retain fine polychromy including fictive marbling and gilding. The main monument (that to the R) has effigies in sculpted relief of Sir John and his wife, with an heraldic cartouche above and an inscription tablet beneath. The left-hand memorial is a tablet bearing a lengthy Latin inscription. The E end of the S chapel houses the C18 organ moved here in 1884; it is currently undergoing restoration (9/97). The N aisle has a white marble memorial tablet to Dorothy Yonge of Bryniorkyn, with sandstone architectural frame, arched head and urn finial; gilded and polychromed arms. Further C18 and C19 black and white marble memorial tablets to both N and S aisles, including a simple Gothic-style tablet to Ellis Yonge of Bryniorkyn (d.1785).
Narrow stone spiral stair within tower, leading to bell chamber with simple king-post roof. C19 clock by J Smith and sons of Derby.
Reason for designation
Listed Grade I as a Medieval parish church retaining much external and internal character and a particularly fine tower.
Group value with other listed items around the churchyard.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]