Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St David  


Unitary Authority
Llantrisant Fawr  
Street Side
Situated in rounded churchyard overlooking A 449 Usk exit, reached via lane running S from B4235 just E of bridge over A449.  


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  

Anglican parish church, probably originally dedicated to St Cyfyw. Mostly late C15, similar to Gwernesney church. Disused 1999, to be preserved as redundant church.  

Parish church. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs. Small nave and chancel, with W porch and W bellcote. Bellcote rebuilt in C19 has 2 triangular-headed openings and had bells of 1598 and 1688, only one bell 1999. Coped gables and cross-finial at E renewed in C19. Windows are all on S side, cusped Perpendicular with flat heads and hoodmoulds, 2-light and 3-light to nave, the 3-light replaced in C19, 2-light to chancel. Three-light E window, similar ogee tracery and flat head but without hoodmould. Nave has square buttresses at E corners, windowless N wall, but timber lintel set low over former opening. Tudor-arched narrow S chancel door with stone voussoirs and plank door. W end has small rectangular sunk panel with chamfered surround. W porch is added, in purple stone, C19 chamfered pointed doorway with plank door, tiny S window and plastered ceiling. Stone benches, stone shelves in corners, and single chamfer to W door with pyramid stop. Bead-moulded plank door with strap hinges.  

Remarkable unrestored interior with C18 fittings. Floor slopes downward from W. Whitewashed plastered walls, plastered segmental arch over W door. Nave has beam across W end, moulded late medieval wall-plate under restored panel roof of 4x7 panels with C19 boarding in panels. Plastered pointed chancel arch. Only framework and front of loft survive of rood, big moulded loft beam with 5 bead moulds and groove beneath. Six posts remain of original 12 of loft front and panels only at outer ends. Moulded top rail with 2 bead moulds. Screen beam behind, plain chamfer, morticed for loft joists, grooved below. Of former screen below 2 moulded posts remain, probably not original but grooved for tracery, and rail and half of outer post to right. Set of early C19 box pews, with panelled doors but boarding to dividers and dado. Five N pews, the first and third smaller with benches on 2 sides, the others 3-sided. S side has big 4-sided pew, then pulpit with lectern in enclosure below and then single bench pew. Pulpit is 5-sided, panelled with added book-rest and buttress pieces. Chancel has fine plaster-panelled roof of 6x6 panels, with moulded ribs and wallplate. N side has 2 further 3-sided box pews. Two stone steps with sturdy turned balusters to communion rail, late C17, like those at Gwernesney. Stone bench along E wall. Small and damaged piscina in S wall. Square font chamfered below and the angles shaved to a 5-sided facet. No shaft, square tapered base with spur feet. Inscribed slab on nave floor with initials W E(reversed) C, 1595 and fleur-de-lys. Floor slabs in chancel and N wall memorial to William Jones (d 1829), Forest of Dean stone, slightly neo-Grec, signed G. Williams & Son, Usk. E end memorial to William Probert, (d 1826) also by G. Williams.  

Reason for designation
Graded I as a late medieval church with exceptional interior including C15 rood-loft and also rare pre Victorian box-pews and fittings.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]