Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Ponthir House Inn
In Ponthir village on the NE side of the B4236 between Stokes Drive and Candwr Road.
Inn dated 1710 on plaque. Early C18 single storey and attic house to two-room plan with centre passage, now opened out within. There is said to have been a stone spiral stair by ?left end-wall fireplace and timber stairs to right of right end fireplace.
Inn, white painted rubble stone with concrete plain tiles to roofs and small white-painted rendered brick end stacks. One storey and attic with three eaves dormers with C20 leaded casement-pair windows and plain tiled sides and gable fronts. Four-bay ground floor offset to right. Centre half-glazed door with large casement pair windows to centre left and centre right and further window to right (aligned with dormer above). The centre left window has thin stone hoodmould and date plaque IGM (or IGH) 1710 above. The door and centre right window are set within a lean-to tiled open 2-bay porch with stone side walls and one iron post to centre. Windows are renewed leaded casement pairs larger than those in dormers. Right end wall has one tiny stair light. A rear wing to rear left is old with low outshut against road continued as single storey range. One dormer and removed end stack. C20 infill to rear right, c. 1980.
Interior much opened out. Rough beams of medium size, 5 to left room and 5 to right, some chamfering. Rear wing has five thinner beams, slightly chamfered.
Reason for designation
Included as early C18 vernacular building with some surviving detail.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]