Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Penrhyn Old Hall, including forecourt wall, steps and mounting block  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
On NW side of Penrhyn Old Road, about 250m W of roundabout at bottom of Penrhyn Hill.  


Broad Class

The earliest reference to the house dates from 1536-39, when it is described as an "auncient stone house est by north est on the shore belonging to Mr Poel of Flintshire". By about 1560 it belonged to Robert Pugh, a Catholic, a relative by marriage of the Bulkeleys of Beaumaris. In 1760, the house was sold by James Coetmore Pugh, last of the family. The house became a farmhouse, until restoration around the beginning of the C20, firstly by Mr Booth Jones (who died on the Lusitania in 1915), and then by Mr Carrington Sellars. The building dates from the C16, but perhaps incorporates parts of earlier houses on the site. The SW wing dates mainly to around 1550 and is joined to a NE wing of 1590 (date over fireplace) by a central block of around 1560-75. Additional wings to SW date from later 1971 and 1987.  

Gentry house. Two storeys (plus attic in NE wing). Stone (mainly rendered); slate roofs. Mullion and transom windows in red sandstone mainly date from c1900. Oldest part of house is cross wing to L with gable in exposed stone, and tall stone chimney with shouldered chimney breast. Right return has 3-light mullion window over 3-light mullion and transom window. In angle with central block, projecting chimney with diagonal stone stack; 2 large stone chimneys visible to rear of central block. Central block has, on first floor, two 3-light windows (R set at eaves), and between them, single-light (C15 re-used) trefoiled window; heraldic shield in low-relief. Ground floor obscured by modern porch; openings behind porch c1910. To R, crosswing with crow-step gable; single attic 2-light window; two 2-light mullion and transom windows to first floor; single 3-light mullion and transom window to ground floor. To SW, the long single-storey range, and cross range with crow-step gable date from the later C20. In front of main building slate steps lead up to forecourt; steps flanked by rubble walls with mounting block; the wall to L sweeps down in series of curves.  

The SW block has large ground floor room which has fireplace with cambered beam with leaf decoration and 2 male heads (modern shelf and pilasters); 3-bay beamed ceiling, end bays have longitudinal beams also; some stop-chamfered joists exposed in end bays; wooden stair with splat balusters and twisted newels. Upper floor of this block has open roof of 3 bays, 2 collar-beam trusses; at NW end, partition with wall-paintings, floral in apex, and below this, to R, male figure in roundel with inscription "The Worde of God is Life to the Soul"; similar painting to L fragmentary. Two fireplaces, in NE and SE walls. In central block, L section has on ground floor large fireplace with oven, and an original outside doorway; beam and stop-chamfered joists: R section has steps up to NE wing, and C18 cupboard (removed from NE wing?).  

Reason for designation
Graded II* as historic Hall retaining much character of C16/C17 and earlier. Group value with adjacent listed buildings.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]