Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Pont Fawr (Llanrwst Bridge) (Partly in the Community of Trefriw)
Spans Afon Conwy opposite Victoria Hotel.
Building authorised 1634, datestone 1636. Long tradition (but no stronger evidence) attributes design of bridge to Inigo Jones. West arch known to have been rebuilt in 1675, and again in 1703.
Steeply ramped stone road bridge of three segmental arches. Central arch circa 18 metres span, outer arches circa 13.5 metres span. Cutwaters to each side continue upwards to form refuges in parapet. Coursed local gritstone and slate rubble. Arch voussoirs set slightly back. West arch masonry in smaller blocks. Parapet with heavy chamfered coping stones with iron cramps. Flared approach walls. Above apex of central arch, S parapet has stone relief of Stuart Arms (plus initials 'CR') set in frame with superimposed fluted columns supporting floral entablature and ogee cresting; below arms is date '1636'. Sundial above installed for tercentenary of bridge. North parapet has, in same position Prince of Wales feathers springing from crown; flanked by initials 'CP'; framed by columns, ogee cresting above with weathered relief pinnacles. Behind this, on inner parapet, date '1636'. Inner parapet has carriage stones to protect masonry. Stone on inner S parapet above rebuilt W arch has initials 'TR'. Tarmacadam carriageway surface.
Reason for designation
Scheduled Ancient Monument, Cadw Ref De 25.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]