Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Gwynhoydl
Situated some 500m E of the crossroads at Pen-y-graig, NE of a minor road from the crossroads to Pont Llangwnnadl.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Anglican parish church, said to have been a pilgrimage church on route to Bardsey. Original church of uncertain date possibly C14-C15, transformed by addition of aisles of equal size to original both N and S. N aisle is dated 1520, S aisle is of c1530, similar to work at Llanengan. Restored by Henry Kennedy in 1850.
Parish church, rubble stone with some large boulders, slate roofs with C19 copings and finials. C19 centre W gable bellcote. Triple gable at W with mid C19 2-light window and hoodmould to nave, traces of blocked W door. Triple gable at E with 3 fine Perpendicular Gothic 3-light windows, deep-set, 4-centred with hoodmoulds, straight joints between nave and aisles. N aisle E window has carved head stops to hood. S aisle has late Perpendicular moulded doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould. Three-light 4-centred window to right of 1850. To right, a small C16 flat-headed 2-light window with hood. Attached to S wall is table tomb to Griffith Griffiths, d 1746 aged 93 who 'lived under seven sovereigns' and C19 table tomb to Francis Lloyd of Nant Gwnadl d1694 renewed by A E Lloyd Edwards of Nanhoron, a descendant. N aisle has 2-light, 3-light and 2-light windows of 1850, the right one replacing a doorway, the centre one replacing a narrow loop.
Triple roofed interior with rubble walls and ashlar 3-bay arcades with 4-centred arches. N arcade has elongated octagon plan piers and plain 2 chamfer arches dying-in. No capitals. Ogee-pointed niche on W face of E pier. Inscriptions record building of aisle in 1520. S arcade is more elaborate, hollow-mouldings to arches, piers have moulded caps and M-shaped moulding down diagonal faces of piers. Roofs are 5-bay, each with four C15 to early C16 arch-braced collar-trusses, repaired 1850 in restoration by Henry Kennedy. N aisle has some angle struts and cusping over collars. Gritstone font, octagonal on octagonal shaft and chamfered base. Carved sunk relief panels: a mitred head, a crowned head, a fleur-de-lys and other patterns. Some fragments of ancient stained glass in nave E window. On E respond of N arcade is c1520 inscription recording that St Gwynhoydl is buried here. On the next pier the building inscription of 1520. In N aisle E memorial slate slab to Catherine Owen, d 1717, S aisle E slab to John Lloydes, d 1667. Open traceried timber pulpit of c1850. Pews and floors of 1963. Later C20 ashlar altar, rails and tiled sanctuary floor.
Reason for designation
One of the outstanding medieval churches of the Llyn.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]