Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
On the corner with Salem Terrace to W of the Parish Church. Set back behind grassed forecourt with spearhead railings.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Built 1862, remodelled and enlarged in 1893 and then severely damaged on 5 July 1913 when, in a locally celebrated case, W A B Ross set fire to the chapel after he was unable to find any money to steal. It was reopened 15 December 1915.
Classical, scribed rendered front with pediment broken to the base by keyblocked giant arch containing large semicircular date plaque. Other classical detail includes acroteria and deep cornice; semicircular datestone. Recessed central bay with balustraded apron has Venetian type window with tall pediment over middle light. Round arched doorways below with panelled doors and half round Doric columns. Outer bays have giant order fluted pilasters and paired round arched headed windows; rusticated base. Glazing bars to all windows. Slate roofs. 5-bay left hand side set in the slope of the hill; giant order fluted pilasters and round arched headed gallery bars to both floors. Similar right hand side. The N gable end is pedimented and with acroteria and corner pilasters; this detail was originally more visible as the first hall was smaller.
2-storey transverse hall with similar detail; open pediment facing Salem Terrace with round arched headed openings - on the ground floor two doorways flank two windows. 6-bay N side with gable to the end bay nearest the road; cement rendered chimney stacks and lower range at E end.
Classical interior; raked gallery with bracket cornice, fluted Ionic pilasters and elaborate ribbed ceiling and foliage and arabesque carved panels and roses. Cast-iron columns to gallery by MacFarlane and Co, Glasgow. Organ set behind round arch opening in end wall - decorative spandrels. Platform has barley twist balusters with ornate panelling to ‘set fawr’ and octagonal pulpit. Schoolroom has fluted columns by Pickering of Pwllheli with composite foliage capitals. Hall has boarded ceiling with coves and wheel pattern ventilators.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]