Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Pwllheli Railway Station
At the southern edge of the town centre.
The first station was built to E of the town in 1867. In 1907 when the new station was built to cater for the thriving Victorian resort, the earlier one was rebuilt at Aberdovey. The line was run by the Cambrian Railway Company. Some time later, possibly c1920 the building was enlarged and the canopies added to the concourse and platform. Renovated in 1984.
Single storey and of timber boarded construction; boarded pitched roofs with felt covering and red brick chimney stacks; wide overhanging eaves. Asymmetrical front resulting from extension to left and enlargement of the right hand cross range. 14-windows long and with 4-gables, the broadest being that to right end - all have curved back finials and plain bargeboards. Horned sash windows with margins and glazing bars to upper sashes; these are placed over a high, horizontally boarded plinth; the upper part is vertically boarded with principal uprights. The gables re decorated to suggest a timber roof truss. Ticket Office entrance is to left of centre and has panelled double doors. The S side of the cross range has 5 small windows and 2 as on the front; linked by middle rail. The N end over the broad concourse entry has similar gable detail. The main range is similar on the inner side with more doorways. The concourse has a pitched perspex covering over steel framed roof supported by 2 large tapered iron piers. Longitudinal strengthening given by members between principals and cranked ties. This was constructed by Dorman Long and Co Ltd Middlesborough. The roof continues for 2 bays along the platform with valence and moulded cornice to gable.
Reason for designation
Included as rare example of a seaside, vernacular style railway station.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]