Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Whitewell Ruins - structure A
At the N side of the A4139 about 1 km E of Lydstep. The ruins are situated at the S of a caravan park behind Whitewell Farm.
History: The main building (A) is probably datable to the late C14 or C15. It has a vaulted extension of later date. The identity of its original owner has not been ascertained, but it appears to be an early manor house similar to Lydstep Palace. The function of the other buildings is unclear. In the 1601 survey there are two tenants: Whitewell was held by John Thomas, David Meredith and others; in 1609, Owen John Thomas; and in 1618, John Thomas and Davie Meredith.
Description: The Ancient Monument site at Whitewell contains remains of at least three mediaeval buildings and associated walls.
A. The principal building is a large structure about 21 m long by about 7 m wide, ranging N/S, of probably two storeys plus an attic or a loft, to which a later wing has been added at the W side. This wing has the springing of a vaulted undercroft and probably only had one storey above. The main range was said by the Royal Commission (1925) to show evidence that its lower storey was vaulted, but no evidence was found when resurveyed in 1964 or is seen in 1995. The excessive span for vaulting and the lack of collapsed masonry in the interior of the building suggest it was not vaulted. There appear to have been external doors at upper floor level at W and S. Features of the building which may not be original include an attached entrance porch and stairs at the W; a very large oven at the S, extending out from the gable wall; a large arched entrance at the W; and a cross-wall.
There are related low walls partially surrounding the site in masonry of a similar character to the ruins. These and any parts of the mediaeval Whitewell buildings now outside the Ancient Monument boundary are nonetheless included in the listing.
Listed Grade I as an archaeologically important late mediaeval group of buildings, including one of exceptional size probably comparable with the Palace at Lydstep.
Ancient Monument no. Pe 137
References: RCAHM Inventory (1925), p. 291;
NBR site file incl WGT notes, 1964;
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 4315.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]