Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Decumanus
Situated in centre of village, in large churchyard.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Medieval parish church, possibly C13 nave and chancel with C14 SE chapel, tower and N transept. Restored from 1852, and in 1869-70 by F Wehnert of Milford, who reroofed it, and 1910 by W D Caroe.
Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, SE chapel, N transept, S tower over S transept, SW vestry and N porch. Chancel and transepts irregularly aligned. Fine tall Pembrokeshire tower, with corbelled parapet and C17 or C18 obelisk corner finials. Plain unmoulded small bell-openings, two to E and W, one to S. S side C19 2-light window. SW stair tower in five shallow steps. Nave has signs of window blocked when tower was built, blocked unmoulded pointed S door and small 1869 2-light over; then gabled SW addition, said to have been a small oratory annexed to a removed S porch. C19 details, S window, SW cross gabled chimney and W door. Nave W end has battered angles and big 1852 3-light window, with older voussoirs over. Large vaulted N porch with wide rounded arch, unmoulded and, in gable, two reset carved shields and carved angel (said to have come from Angle Church). N transept adjoins closely, C19 small 2-light N window. Nave E gable has sanctus bellcote. Squint between transept and chancel with C19 2-light window. Chancel has C19 2-light E window, and end-wall has evidence of gable repairs. Adjoining SE chapel has C19 2-light E window, two S side C19 2-light windows and C19 buttress.
N porch contains fine square scalloped C12 or C13 font from Pwllcrochan. Unmoulded pointed N door, with tiny carved medieval figure of Risen Christ over, found in a nearby farm. Nave has 5-bay C19 roof, small whitewashed late Norman square scalloped font, N side tomb recess, C19 patterned glass in W window and two commandment boards. Fine baroque monument to F Powell of Greenhill (1716) from Pwllcrochan. 1880 glass by H Hughes of London in S window. 1869 timber pulpit and lectern. Corbel each side to W of transept openings. Plastered chancel arch. Plastered stone vault to N transept, stone pointed arches to transept and S tower. Transept has tomb recesses on W and N sides, inscribed tomb slab in W recess. Richly carved C15 base of a monument or shrine between N transept and nave with quatrefoil decoration. Lower chamber of tower is vaulted, SW tower door. Segmental arch through to SE chapel, and damaged stone bowl (may be a quern) with square rim. Chancel has C19 roof, mid C14 recess with remains of cusping and side finials, two plastered arches to SE chapel, octagonal centre pier, damaged piscina in S wall, recess in E wall and 1878 stained glass E window. SE chapel has corbels on N wall, C19 roof, two S wall tomb recesses, one with carved C14 female effigy, and two medieval coffin-lids reset on W wall. Piscina on S wall, ogee pointed. Plaque to WáMeares of Eastington (d 1768). C19 altar and pulpit from Pwllcrochan. E window of c1960 by Celtic Studios. SW vestry has pointed arched recesses to E and S walls.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]