Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Peter
The Vale of Grwyney
In the centre of Llanbedr village and within a walled churchyard.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
A church was consecrated here c1060, but the fabric of the present church is late medieval. Originally consisting of a nave and chancel, the tower was added probably late C14 or early C15. The church was substantially enlarged late C15 with the addition of a S aisle and chapel, to which a porch was then added. The church was restored 1868, and in 1883 by F R Wilson, followed by restoration in 1897 by J L Pearson.
Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, W tower, S aisle with chapel, and porch. Of random rubble stone with bigger dressed quoins and battered walls, with stone tile roofs. The S aisle has a porch at L end with wide Tudor-headed doorway with continuous moulding. To the R of the porch is a 4-light window with hood mould and a 3-light window to the extreme R, both restored by Pearson. Between is a smaller high 2-light window (lighting the former rood), to R of which is a small priest's door to the aisle chapel with a Tudor head and a ribbed and boarded door. Late C18 and early C19 memorial tablets are attached to the wall. The E ends of aisle and chancel form a continuous facade, and each have 3-light windows. The chancel is lower and narrower than the nave. The N wall is roughcast and has a 1-light and a 2-light window of late C19. The nave N wall is also roughcast and has two 3-light windows with hood moulds, by Pearson.
The tower is 3-stage, with a plinth band and putlog holes in the lower stage. A small W window is in a dressed surround; the N and S faces have similar but narrower windows. Above the lower stage is a string course. The middle stage has narrow windows, the bell stage has 2-light Perpendicular openings with louvres. Embattled parapet added c1500.
The porch has a 2-bay roof with a central arched-brace truss. The S doorway has a Tudor head, while the ribbed door has strap hinges and a lock dated 1716. Beside the door is a small stoup with triangular head. The nave and chancel have tie-beam roofs of 1897, the aisle and chapel have a ceiled wagon roof of c1500 on a moulded cornice. The nave has a 4-bay arcade with octagonal piers on square bases, and 2-centred arches with 2 orders of chamfers. The chancel has a similar 2-bay arcade. The chancel arch, rebuilt in 1897, is 2-centred with 2 orders of chamfers and polygonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. The tower arch is segmental-pointed without capitals.
Above chancel arch is foliage painted in red ochre in diaper fashion as a background to a large cross. The C15 font has a plain octagonal bowl and pedestal on a square base. Numerous wall monuments include tablet in S wall to Thomas Brute (d. 1724), son of a well-known local mason. Two other monuments by J Brute are to Elizabeth Price (d. 1804) and John Powell (d. 1808). Other fixtures are late C19. A screen between aisle and chapel has plain dado below 4 blind traceried lights flanking a door with 2 blind traceried panels. Above is a cornice. A similar but lower screen is across the chancel arcade. Late C19 commemorative glass includes, in the chancel E window, Christ with Saints Peter and Thomas, in the chapel E window the Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension, and in the nave S window the Good Samaritan. Fragments of medieval glass are in the chancel N windows.
Reason for designation
Listed Grade II* as a substantially medieval church.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]