Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Cattwg  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
Located at the N end of the village, 0.6km from Crickhowell Bridge. In an oval churchyard with a lych gate to the SW.  


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  

A church is first recorded here in C6, dedicated to St Cattwg (497 - 577 AD). There is said to have been a C12 tower, but no evidence for it survives. It was probably on the site of the present C16 tower. The C14 arcade suggests that the church may belong to this date, although the walls were substantially rebuilt in the C18 and C19. Extensive repairs took place in 1719 and 1785-7, the latter work including the replacement of the former double-naved roof with a single roof spanning the full width. At this time, the E end of the chancel had a 4-light window with trefoiled lancets. Most of the current windows date from a restoration of 1843, although they may be copies of earlier windows. The return to separate (twin) roofs was probably made at this time along with the insertion of a gallery and the refurbishment of the chancel. A new (main) porch was built to replace the former one. The 2nd porch is also C19. Much of the church furniture belongs to a restoration of 1886, and at this time, the conical roof on the tower was removed along with the pews and gallery. A vestry was added to the NW angle of the church in the 1990s.  

Largely late-Perpendicular and consisting of W tower with two parallel chambers forming double-nave and chancel plan; the nave and N aisle are of roughly the same width and the eastern part is stepped down with the north chancel now serving as the organ chamber. Mainly ogee tracery. Local rubble construction with modern concrete-tile roofs. The church is dominated by the massive 3-stage tower constructed in narrow blocks of red sandstone with quoins, band courses and crenellated parapet. Hexagonal stair turret to NE corner rises higher, with small vertical lights. Large 3-light window at W end under relieving arch; a blocking below shows that this replaces an earlier window. The top stage has square-headed splayed 2-light louvre openings. Below these to the S, W and E are small vertical lights with sandstone dressings. The same type of lights are found in the middle stage to the W and S. To the N side is a late C20 lean-to vestry with a gabled entrance to W. Main south porch has fine ogee-arched Bath stone entrance with crocketed enrichment and four-centred arched inner doorway. The nave has stepped buttresses and two 3-light windows to the east of this porch. The chancel has a further gabled porch for the priest's door with more simply pointed arched entrance. This is flanked by fine 3-light C16 windows; another similar to north side. The gabled east end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light panel-traceried windows; crucifix finial missing to north gable. On the north side of the church the upper courses of the north aisle have been rebuilt. Two 3-light windows, that to east similar to those at east end and that to west similar to those on south side of nave. Raised stone platform with a segmental arch near ground level.  

Continuous C14 two-order arcade of three bays to the nave and two bays to the chancel with contemporary chancel arches; octagonal piers with broach stops. 3-order tower arch. Panelled wagon roofs to the nave and arched-braced collar trusses to chancel with trefoil decoration. There was formerly a gallery at the west end as indicated by the blocked doorway in the west wall just north of the stair vice. The font, pulpit, pews, organ and reredos belong to the C19 restoration. There are 8 windows in the church with stained glass. All are C19 and most are memorials. The N nave window is by Clayton and Bell. It shows the crucifixion and is in memory of Sir Joseph Bailey of Glanusk Park (d. 1858). The E window shows the resurrection and is dedicated by Mary Anne Bailey in memory of her child, Bertha. The tower and vestry contain a series of fine C18 Rococo memorials with raised and painted borders, mainly with floral designs, by the Brute family of Llanbedr. They are dedicated to the predominate families of the area (including the Morgans of Dan y Parc).  

Reason for designation
Listed grade II* as a substantial medieval church also retaining good C18 monuments.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]