Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Situated on rising ground just N of the main village thoroughfare, the churchyard sloping E to the River Tawel.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The stones in church and porch, one with Latin inscription, suggest an early history for the area, with the circular churchyard indicating an Early Christian site . The existing church is medieval, further altered in later middle ages with a Perpendicular tower and porch. Substantially restored and chancel built 1870.
Plan of W tower, nave, S porch, lower and narrow chancel, NE boiler house. Of red sandstone rubble with large roughly dressed sandstone quoins to nave and tower, snecked rockfaced sandstone to C19 chancel; stone tile roof in diminishing courses with glazed ridge tiles and apex crosses in cast iron. W tower of 2 storeys with moulded embattled parapet and moulded stringcourse at parapet level incorporating projecting stone water chutes; ringing chamber has cusped louvred lights set back behind chamfered pointed arched surround; string course at nave roof level below which are the small square headed chamfered lights to tower chambers and stairs; moulded string course above battered plinth. S porch has a wide chamfered elliptical arched doorway with pointed arched niche above; swept eaves; square headed side windows. Porch interior is stone flagged with moulded stone benches; chamfered pointed arched doorway to church; 2 bay arch-braced roof, the braces reeded and the truss decoratively incorporating a quatrefoil; carved faces where truss meets wallplate; large stone with Latin inscription placed against W wall in 1920. S nave is battered and has overhanging eaves; windows are renewed pointed arched lights with cusped heads and armatures, single to W and double to E. Chancel has similar smaller SE window; E chancel wall has buttresses with deep offsets to accommodate fall in ground; C19 Decorated E window with face stops to hood mould. N nave windows similar to S.
Interior substantially restored C19. Nave has wagon roof, the ribs angled rather than curved, with lath nails suggesting this fabric is medieval whereas the boarding and crested wallplate is C19. W Tudor-arched tower arch. C12 circular font with rough cable and roll mouldings. Large slab upright against wall, another on N wall not legible Pointed chancel arch with giant vine leaf and fruit capitals but no shafts. Organ from Treberfydd House. Four bells in tower of which 2 are of 1678.
Reason for designation
Listed as a medieval church retaining much of its fabric notwithstanding C19 restoration, and for its important position in the village.
Group value with churchyard monuments.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]