Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Chapel and Remains of Nave of Former Friary at Christ College
Within grounds of Christ College, to N of main school building.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The Chapel comprises the former choir and screen passage of the medieval Church of the Dominican Friary of St Nicholas at Brecon, founded in C13. The exact date of foundation, and identity of founder are not known; the earliest architecture can be dated to around 1240. First mention of the Friary is 1269. After the Dissolution, the College of Abergwili was transferred to Brecon, and became Christ College; a charter of Henry VIII is dated January 1541. The chancel of the chapel became ruinous after the Civil War.
The buildings were restored in C17, and, after college became public school in 1853, by JP Seddon 1859-72. Seddon's restoration involved dismantling and rebuilding of entire N wall. Further restoration in 1926 by J L Phillips and W D Caroe.
Early English style chapel with remains of nave to W. Chapel is stone with angle buttresses; slate roof with belcote to W. North elevation has 11 lancets in all, with 4 to sanctuary, and 7 deeper lancets to choir. East window of 5 stepped lancets. On S side, 4 lancets to sanctuary, and rest of wall is blank. Remains of nave retain base of W window; tomb recess to S. Responds only of arcade to C14 N aisle. N doorway with quadrant mouldings over round arch. West entry to chapel with lean-to roof; doorway to R, and 3-light window to L.
Chapel has panelled wagon roof. Early C14 tomb recess in N sanctuary wall. Quadruple sedilia to S and double piscina both with trefoiled arches and hoodmouldings with floral stops. East window with C19 glass (1863) by Clayton and Bell to designs of Seddon. Reredos panelling by Caroe, and stalls by Seddon. Good C18 funerary monuments. Antechapel has 6 stalls of circa 1400 with misericords. Large cinquefoil double piscina (said to have come from nave). Good late C17 and early C18 monuments including full length portrait bust of William Lucy (died 1677), and Lucy/Games tomb with life-size alabaster figures. Grand 18-branch candelabrum (given by Elizabeth Walker of Newton House in 1723).
Reason for designation
Graded I as chapel and nave of medieval Friary well-restored in C19, and with good fittings and monuments. Group Value.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]