Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Chapter House and Diocesan Centre (with Canonry Flat and Clergy House)
About 40m S of south transept of Cathedral.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Largely medieval and converted from the Prior's house of the monastery. Two roof trusses of circa 1250 survive; smoke blackened timbers indicate an open hall. The medieval structure consists of N-S hall range with cross wing to N. The C13 house had hall at S end and cross passage with stone doorways; tall arched window in S gable end. In late middle ages, the building was re-ordered and late C15/early C16 roof trusses remain at N end of N-S block. Post Dissolution work first involved adding present SE wing (including "Queen's Room"). Existing C18 work includes the present E entrance hall and fireplace in the "De Winton Room". By 1780 there was still mention of a "Great Hall" and a "Little Hall". In the C19 service blocks were added to N and W. In the 1920s after the creation of the new Diocese and Cathedral the house was converted for use as Deanery and Chapter House, and Clergy House. In 1983, part of the Deanery was converted to Cathedral Centre. After the Dissolution the house became the residence of Sir John Price (or Prys) (1502-55), promoter of Union between England and Wales and promoter of the publication of the first printed book in Welsh. Charles I stayed here in 1645 and George IV was received here in 1821. Late C20 change of use and known as Chapter House and Diocesan Centre (with Canonry Flat and Clergy House).
For full historic and architectural analysis of the building see References.
Building in similar stone to Cathedral; modern tiled roofs; late C19/early C20 bargeboards.
East entrance recessed between projecting gabled wings. Steps up to C18 doorcase with pulvinated frieze;
6-panelled door; 12-pane sash window to each side. Two 12-pane sashes to first floor, gabled dormer above. Brick dressings to windows; brick also to upper part of flanking wall to L. Gable end of SE crosswing with corbelled chimney with diagonal stacks; to R of chimney on first floor, a 9-pane sash window; on ground floor, a C20 casement window; doorway below; small window to L at basement level. Two-window S return. At right angles, a large C19 splayed bay window to Chapter House; 2 small-pane sash windows set across eaves. South gable of Chapter House has 3 diagonal chimney stacks; blocked medieval window; sash windows with horns. To W, medieval block partially obscured by C19 service block. Three 12-pane sash windows to W elevation of Diocesan Centre; two hipped dormers (C20) above. Projecting forward, former Clergy House has higher roofline, S gable has 2 narrow medieval window lights. W elevation has two 12-pane sash windows below 8-pane C19 sash. To L, stone steps up to C19 Gothic doorway with mullion and transom window to L; N gable has blocked opening to both first and attic floors; modern window below. Rear (E) elevation has mullion and transom windows in C17 style and N gable
of taller (S) block has window with coved cornice, and 12-pane sash above. To L, 3-window elevation of N side of N crosswing includes early C17 4-light ovolo-moulded window. East gable end of this wing has two
12-pane sash windows on first floor (in brick reveals), and single ground floor C20 window under C17 lintel.
Battered medieval walling, and blocked outlet of medieval garderobe.
East entrance hall with modillion cornice to plaster ceiling with 2 compartments; central beam supported on
column and end pilasters. In N wall, C18 doorcase with 6-panelled door (similar to entrance door); also 6-panel door to former service quarters.
Dining room has C18(?) dado and rail, moulded plaster ceiling; C19 shutters to windows. Chapter House has early-to-mid C19 coved and moulded cornice and contemporary 6-panelled door in doorcase with carved floral panels above. Queen's Room has broad C16/C17 fireplace with chamfers. Late C13/early C14 pointed stone doorway in W wall. In former Clergy House at mezzanine level, a C17 ovolo-moulded doorframe; C18 (?) moulded ceiling decoration similar to dining room. Former kitchen with panelled dado and moulded rail.
First floor with early C19 landing balustrade. Within large cupboard, the encased remains of gallery to former late medieval cross-passage. Oak room retains jowled timber posts to ceiling beams. Two 6-panelled doors with architrave frames. The de Winton Room has fine chimney piece of circa 1700; fireplace with bolection-moulded surround, and above this, overmantel with bolection moulding flanked by tapering Corinthian pilasters supporting deep cornice which connects with similar cornice to rest of room. (There is a similar fireplace, but without overmantel in first floor of former Clergy House). The King's Room has early C18 cornice; panelled dado. In W wall C18 sunk wall panels; dado panelling and shutters.
The attic rooms over the Chapter House have C19 6-panelled doors and fireplaces. Two exceptional mid C13 roof trusses remain in the main N-S medieval block; also here, trusses from late medieval roof. The roof over the SE cross wing is late C16/early C17.
Reason for designation
Graded I as important building with much remaining medieval fabric, including exceptionally early roof trusses. Group value with other listed building in the Cathedral precinct. The Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist, the Priory Walls and gateways, the Almonry, the Tithe Barn, the Deanery and Vestries, the Chapter House and Diocesan Centre (with Canonry Flat and Clergy House) form an exceptional group of surviving monastic buildings.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]