Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Crickhowell Castle (remains of)
Situated to the SE of the High Street in Recreation Ground between Castle Road and Beaufort Street.
The Castle, known as Alisby's Castle after Gerald Alisby the early to mid C14 governor, was formerly of Norman motte and bailey type. Rebuilt in late C13/early C14 by Sir Grimbald Pauncefote, disused in C15 and much pillaged since for local building.
The masonry remains include an engaged round and rectangular random coursed rubble tower; crenellated parapet, narrow openings and early C14 ogee lancets with worn cusping. Various splayed openings to 3-storey and basement inner faces, fireplace at 1st floor level. View of 1893 shows the tower in more complete state.
Part of the former circular gate tower to the motte remains in the slope to NW.
Scheduled Ancient Monument BR111
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]