Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
(partly in Llangattock community)
Situated to SW of and below the town, spanning the River Usk and partly in Llangattock Community Council.
Fine early road bridge rebuilt in 1706 and fequently repaired. First recorded in survey of 1538 and a map of 1760 shows it to have more arches, later alterations including widening in 1810 to NW side, having been criticized by Theophilus Jones for its narrowness; reconstuction to NE end when New Road was built in 1828 to 30 reduced the upsteam side by 1 arch.
Single carriageway partly coursed rubble bridge; curved into the current. 13-arch to SE downstream side, 12-arch to NW upstream side; gently ramped towards centre. Low recessed segmental arches of varying widths with thin voussoirs and stringcourse to upstream side; V shaped cutwaters, plain cappings to parapets with refuges. Vertical joints and change to ashlar masonory indicate extent of widening. Low rubble abutment walls curve around corner to Llangattock road at SW end; rubble walls extend from NE end.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Reason for designation
A particularly special example of this building type.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]