Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Garmon  


Unitary Authority
Llanarmon yn Ial  
Street Side
Situated in the centre of Llanarmon village.  


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  

Anglican parish church, medieval in origin, the double nave plan probably representing a late C15 S aisle added to the earlier nave. Late medieval roof-trusses. In 1733 the church was altered, the original arcade being replaced by timber octagonal columns, the work being by Edward Wettnall of Wrexham, carpenter. At the same time, or possibly in 1736, classical arched windows were inserted throughout and a classical sandstone-ashlar S porch was added. In 1870 the church was restored by John Douglas, who presumably added the bellcote and E window to the nave, and made some interior alterations. Other minor repairs were recorded in 1906 and 1926. The interior contains monuments to the owners of Bodidris (the house now in Llandegla C) from the C14 onwards, including the unusually inscribed effigy of Gruffydd ap Llywelyn ab Ynyr, c1320, and the fine Jacobean tomb of Evan Llwyd, 1639. The C15 or C16 brass chandelier is of exceptional rarity, and with the comparable piece at Llandegla, is said to have come from Valle Crucis Abbey. They may however be Flemish and brought from there by one of the Bodidris owners at an unknown date. The c1320 effigy is also said to have come from Valle Crucis.  

Parish church. Rubble stone with slate roofs and coped gables, twin single roofed sections, N nave with W bellcote, S aisle with S porch. Nave has W arched door, double-chamfered, and bellcote of 1870, broad at base, the sides battered in to ashlar top with 2 pointed openings and coped gable with gabled kneelers and cross finial. S aisle has one C19 W lancet and straight joint to nave. N side has C18 coved eaves cornice, and 3 ashlar arched windows of c1736 with pilaster jambs, keystones and moulded sills. Leaded lights on iron internal supports. Buttress to left and then one chancel Gothic 2-light window of c1870. E wall appears to have been refaced c1870 with 3-light Gothic window of c1870. S aisle has big C18 arched E window, similar to side windows but much larger. S wall has chimney of c1870 to right, coved cornice and 3 arched windows of c1736. S porch between 1st and 2nd windows. Porch has c1736 ashlar front, broad flattened arch with rusticated jambs, rusticated stone voussoirs and keystone, outer rusticated quoins with cornice moulding above under shoulders of moulded gable coping, stopped at apex for ball-finial. Plastered porch interior with 2 stone benches. Inner doorcase of c1736, ashlar, arched, pilastered jambs and fluted keystone. Studded plank door with strap hinges.  

Fine interior with the two sections divided by a timber colonnade of c1733. Nave 9-bay late medieval roof with cusped windbraces, arch-braced collar trusses with angle struts above, some timbers chamfered, some hollow-moulded. Last 2 bays were formerly ceiled and timbers are further ornamented. Nave has pine pews and slate floor slabs. Unusual C18 marble bowl font on baluster stem, inscribed 'Rhodd Edward Thelwell o Llanbeder 1734'. Pulpit of c1870, presumably by J Douglas, timber, octagonal with carved band of leaf and rose decoration over arched panel. Stone base. Eagle lectern of c1870. Encaustic tiles and slate floor in chancel, altar and reredos of 1942, E window stained glass of Ascension, c1926, by W Glasby of London, N window patterned glass with symbols of Evangelists, 1870. Pine stalls of c1870. Outstanding hanging late medieval chandelier, hexagonal stem with 3 tiers of 6 branches, crocketted decoration and statuette of the Virgin, late C15 or early C16. Memorials: chancel brass plaque to Wilson Jones of Gelligynan, d1864, nave brass plaque to the Rev H Pennant, d1731. W memorials to the Rev Simon Evans d1753, slate and marble with cherub and skull; the Rev J Venables d1782; the Jones family of Plasynpant 1727-66 and to Elizabeth Williams of Bodidris d1799. Also crude pedimented memorial to J Jones of Plasdu, d1835. Colonnade is of 5 bays with thick octagonal oak columns, classical moulded caps. Diagonal bracing to timber valley beam presumably added in 1870. Broad plaster cove moulding above. S aisle has similar 9-bay roof, with traces of ceiling in last 2 bays. Windows have original iron inner bars supporting the leading. W end used as vestry. Painted royal arms signed 1740 by David Davies on S wall. E end organ by Conacher of Huddersfield. Memorials: two medieval effigies on floor: one of a priest, worn, early C14, the other, of high quality, of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn ab Ynyr of Bodidris c1320, in armour on tomb chest with trefoil arcading. S wall: Outstanding Stuart effigy memorial to Evan Lloyd of Yal (Bodidris), 1639, triple arched with effigy appearing in outer arches and centre plaque with inscription unusually in Welsh (similar to the John Trevor of Trefalun monument at Gresford); marble Baroque monument with cherub heads to Sir Evan Lloyd of Bodidris, d1700 with arms and cherub heads; crude Baroque memorial with draped plaque in painted stone to Jane Davies of Bwlch Iarll d1723. In vestry painted wood plaque to Evan Davies of Reryrys d1759, marble plaque to Evan Jones d1743, and crude pedimented plaque to W Jones of Ty Isaf d1813. W window stained glass, St German, c1921, by A L and C E Moore.  

Reason for designation
Listed grade I as a fine largely late medieval church with an unusual early C18 remodelling, and containing exceptionally high quality fittings, notably a range of monuments and an outstanding late medieval chandelier.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]