Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Parish church of St Mary
Formerly listed under West Street.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Set in large churchyard between Church Street and West Street
Medieval tower c. 1300. Remainder of church rebuilt in 1875, by John Norton, architect (opened Tuesday, July 13, 1875). Cost ú3700.
Tower in angle between south aisle and chancel. Chancel, four bay nave, south aisle, porch, north vestry. (Planned north aisle not executed).
Tower in brown-grey rubble. Remainder in snecked grey stone with bathstone dressings. Brown tiled roofs with red tiled stripes and some cresting. Interior faced in bathstone with red pointing.
Exterior. Medieval tower with castellations and slightly splayed base. Low pyramidal roof with weather cock. Small pointed-arched windows to bell-stage, that to S having rectangular hood-mould. In E wall, medieval arch blocked by nineteenth-century doorway in Bath stone with three trefoil windows above square-headed doors. Flanked by shafts with rings.
Two-storey porch with trefoil doorway and above, square-headed window of two trefoiled lights. To left, angle between porch and aisle has polygonal stair tower with conical roof and weather vane; simple lights to stair and shouldered doorway. South aisle has three 3-trefoiled-light windows and stepped buttresses. Buttressed west front with aisle window of one light and nave window group of two 2-light windows with plate tracery and, above, large round window. To N, four bay nave with windows and buttresses as S aisle. Vestry with window and door to N, and to E, larger window of two lights with trefoil above. East end has setback stepped buttresses, window with geometrical tracery and small square window in gable.
Porch has stone bench to E below 2-light window. Effigy to W below single light window. Flat boarded ceiling. Narrow pointed doorway into church with continuous keel moulding.
Nave has 4 bays. Arcade to S aisle with octagonal piers and capitals
Chancel arch in bathstone with ringed half shafts. Continuous keel mould and hoodmould over.
Chancel has to N, vestry containing organ, separated from chancel by a large bipartite arch with central cylindrical trumeau. Inner orders of arch supported on corbels, and spandrel pierced by cinquefoil opening with small oculus below. Hoodmould over.
Nave roof has 5 trefoiled principal trusses supported on moulded stone corbels. Principal and subsidiary trusses have two collars. Two tiers of purlins. Herringbone boarding between common rafters. Aisle roof has cruck-like trusses with crossed braces and all trusses supported on moulded stone corbels. Chancel roof, boarded, pointed tunnel type.
Effigy in porch of John Lloyd (died 1585), "Ysquer to the bodye" to Elizabeth I. In military dress worn and damaged.
Stained glass; in E window by C E Kempe, 1877, in W window by Heaton, Butler, and Bayne, 1945.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]