Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The farmhouse is located on a platform above the left bank of the Afon Carno, on a farm road leading off the lane from the A.470 to Bwlch-y-garreg.
The residence of a landed farmer, built c.1660. The first reference is to a Lewis Evans, gent. in 1631 concerned with church matters at Carno, and the justices met here throughout the C17. The house is of the Severn Valley type, with storeyed porch opposite the main back-to-back central fireplace, the hall on the right, and parlour on the left. A rear wing containing the stair, with side lean-to, added later, appears to replace an earlier wing. It has been suggested that the rear wing has fragmentary evidence of an earlier building.
Timber framed construction throughout, with tension braced close studding to the ground floor, and square framing above, and diagonal framing to the upper floor of the porch, all with whitened infill panels, and a slate roof. Two storeys, cellar under the parlour, and attic. The porch, raised over 4 steps, has a depressed ogee open outer doorcase, turned side balusters and internal side seats. Dragon beams carry a jetty on all three sides with ovolo and hollow moulded bressumers, and supported with keeled brackets. The inner door has a similar doorcase with a scratch-moulded boarded door retaining some original furniture. C20 paned timber windows, probably replacing bracketed oriel type windows, of which a part of one survives on the W gable end. Both gable ends of the main range are twice jettied on moulded bressumers.
The very fine hall ceiling is divided into 9 square bays with chamfered and stopped beams, with a dragon beam to the corner, and has exposed joists. Large inglenook fireplace has carved arcaded panelling and relief coat-of arms over, and a carved C17 screen on the left side opens to the entrance lobby. The floor is a rare and well preserved example of the traditional small pitched stone set in patterns, now adequately protected from wear. The parlour, of 6 bays, has a similarly divided ceiling and later wainscott and overmantle. The stair, in the rear block, is of a square open-well type, of oak, with moulded handrail and balusters, the generous width divides at the top with moulded handrail and balusters to each flight, and built-in C17 cupboards. A further stair, in the rear lean-to gives direct access from the parlour to the cellar (buttery) beneath.
Reason for designation
Included at Grade II* as a remarkably well preserved example of the classic Severn-Valley type of house, with an interior of exceptional quality.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]