Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Brick Wall to rear of Top Terrace at Powis Castle Gardens
Forms the centre-piece of the top terrace, directly beneath the S wall of the main castle building.
The design of the terrace gardens at Powis is attributed to William Winde, who is known to have been employed to rebuild the Powis London residence between 1684 and 1688, and who is also thought to have been responsible for work on the castle from c1673. There is no firm dating evidence for the gardens but it is unlikely that the gardens predate 1668, and they were probably largely completed by 1705.
Brick wall, raked up from ground level at each end to its final height, and containing 5 niches in its central section, separated by blind recessed shaped panels, with similar triangular panels to each end. These have stone moulded frames, and contain rubbed brickwork, quite different in character from the brickwork of the main structure. The niches have alternately triangular and segmental pedimented heads, and in their original form (not always respected in later repair work), each employed contrasting colours of stone for architrave, entablature and pediment. They formerly housed statues (though possibly not originally), but these have been replaced (since 1981) by a series of urns. Moulded apron panels below each niche, and continuous plinth moulding.
Reason for designation
A highly important part of the overall conception of the late C17 Baroque garden at Powis, the wall forms a visual ''plinth'' for the castle when viewed from the S, and is a highly interesting feature in its own right, exploiting the different colours and textures of its materials to rich decorative effect.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]