Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Old Police Station
This is the key building at the northern entry to Llandaff, standing at the junction of Bridge Street and Cardiff Road.
1859 (dated), probably by John Prichard. The building, which is very little altered, is no longer a police station.
Built of thinly coursed greenstone with a Welsh slate roof. Two storeys with a complicated plan with the station projecting forward, the Inspector's house to the right and the section house and cells behind; there is also a tall chimney which may be an addition. The station has a forward gable with a two storey projecting bay, each floor having a 4-light window, plain doorway to right, slit vent in gable above. Between the windows is the inscription ''POLICE STATION 1859''. The left return has a 3-light and a 4-light window on the ground floor and and two probably mid-C20 half-dormers above. The Inspector's house to the right is taller and has a 3-light window on either floor under relieving arches, door to left of window. The gable end has an external stack flanked by 2-light windows, rear elevation with 2-light windows. The section house has a gable to the street with a door and two 2-light windows below and a tripartite window above. All gables are coped with kneelers, ridge and gable stone stacks. Tall square stack joined to left front corner of section house, three diminishing stages. This still carries the air-raid siren.
Interior not seen at resurvey, but its designed purpose means that it will have a utilitarian interior.
Reason for designation
Included for its rarity as an architect designed police station in Wales. Its date and the attribution to the important local architect John Prichard contribute to the building's special interest.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]