Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Tydecho
Set in a roughly circular churchyard at the N end of the village.
Located in a large circular churchyard at the N end of the village.
C14-15 and retaining a good C15 roof. The S wall was raised in the C18, when a W gallery was added and a tall round-arched window inserted into the nave. The porch, dated 1742, may be contemporary with these alterations. The church was refenestrated and re-gothicised in the C19; the Georgian nave window and gallery window were blocked, suggesting that the gallery itself was removed. The interior was restored c1902.
Single-chamber nave and chancel, W bellcote, S porch and N vestry. The church is constructed of rubble stone under a slate roof with stone copings. Evidence is visible for the raising of the S side; the W end has a large stone plinth and is roughcast. Gabled porch to L of S side, of coursed stone under a slate roof with stone copings and kneelers; round-arched entrance of narrow stone voussoirs. The single-bay porch has 2 rows of chamfered purlins and side benches. Above the entrance is a pegged Queen-post truss with an inscribed date of 1742 to the L of the tie-beam and the letters VI to the centre. Shallow segmental arch to entrance partially cut into the soffit of the tie beam; double panelled doors lead into nave.
To the L of the porch is the square gallery window beneath the eaves, now infilled with stone. To the R of the porch are 3 plain lancets with sandstone surrounds and quarry glazing. The central lancet is within the blocking of the tall C18 window, its round-arched head of stone voussoirs visible below the eaves. To the E end is a 3-light C19 window with Geometrical-style tracery, and yellow brick surround to the arch. The rear N wall has 2 plain lancets to L and R of centre and a butt joint to R of L-hand window. Former square opening to R end, probably associated with former gallery and now infilled with stone. Stone lean-to vestry to far L, extended in brick towards R. Its N side has a C20 planked door to L, 2 lancets to R; planked door to R return. The W end of the nave has a 2-light window with triangular head and Y-tracery, probably C19-20. The wall supports a gabled stone bellcote with a single arched opening containing a bell.
Good 8-bay roof with arched-brace trusses, the 3 to the E cusped above the braces. The S wall was raised above the trusses and a new roof pitch inserted in the C18. Most of the furnishings are c1902 and of pine; central aisle with flanking box pews, hexagonal pulpit to L with organ behind. Choir stalls and altar in similar style; wood panelling to reredos with cusped blind arches. On the window sill behind the altar is part of the cornice of the C15 chancel screen, with openwork decoration including vine-leaves, fruit and a human head. To W end, octagonal stone font on tall stem, probably C19-20. Monuments include, to S wall of chancel, a large classical-style monument in high relief, the entablature with a segmental pediment broken by a shield; eroded inscription said to refer to Roger and Elizabeth Mostyn and erected in 1744. To its R is a scrolled marble tablet, to Walter Evans, Surgeon of Hereford (d. 1878). To the S wall of the nave is a small black tablet with arched head and raised lettering, to Anne Morris (d. 1729). On the panelling to the rear and L of the altar is a memorial to Leo Norton of Dolcorslwyn Hall who died in action in 1914. Further wall tablets on N wall of chancel. Brightly coloured stained glass to E window, Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension, dated 1864. The W window is by Ward & Hughes, 1889, and is dedicated to John Hughes, rector, 1827-56. To S central lancet is a depiction of St Melangell, labelled ML 1905.
Reason for designation
Listed as a village church retaining substantial medieval fabric including a fine roof, and more unusually, evidence for a Georgian remodelling with dated porch.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]