Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Michael  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
Located in the centre of the village within a large rectangular churchyard.  


Broad Class

A new church by Poundley & Walker was built on medieval foundations in 1864-5, in simple Geometrical style. However, the Perpendicular E window came from the medieval church, whilst the massive wooden beams supporting the belfry are said to be C17. Inside the church, the highly ornate corbels and capitals to the chancel arch were carved by Griffiths of Chester.  

Nave, chancel, N porch and W belfry, constructed of grey rock-faced and partly snecked stone, under a slate roof with decorative cresting. The W gable end is slate-hung and has a high plinth. Geometrical windows to N and S sides under chamfered polychrome heads, containing lancets in plate tracery, with quatrefoils or sexfoils in recessed roundels. Gabled porch offset to R of N side with steeply pitched slate roof, raised copings and ornate angle buttresses. The entrance has a pointed polychrome arch, under which are sandstone roll mouldings supported on ringed nook-shafts with foliate capitals. Single lights with trefoiled heads to each side of porch, the projecting rafters with decorated ends. Inside the porch, scissor-braced roof, heavy boarded door with strap hinges under a chamfered arch, leading into church. The nave has 3 windows to L of porch, 2-light windows flanking a single light; single light to R of porch. Angle buttresses towards centre and to NE angle. The S side of the nave has 4 similar windows, all 2-light except for a single light 2nd from the R; 3 angle buttress, including one to SE angle. The chancel is lower and narrower than the nave and the window detail is more ornate. Two single lights to N side, both under gabled half-dormers; the lancets have trefoiled heads, and the polychrome arches are supported by ringed nook-shafts with foliate capitals. The arched heads are flanked by gargoyles. To the E end, Perpendicular 3-light window in bar tracery, the lights with cinquefoiled heads, the hoodmould with head bosses. The S side of the chancel has 2 lights under gabled half-dormers but there are no nook-shafts. Stones project to the sides of the arched heads, probably for gargoyles which were never carved. The short timber belfry is supported on a splayed leaded base, and has a swept pyramidal roof with slate coverings on top of which is a weather vane. The sides of the belfry contain 4-light wooden louvre openings, each with a cusped arched head.  

The nave has a 7-bay roof with light arched-brace trusses alternating with collar trusses; the former have curved struts above the braces and are supported on wall posts on carved stone corbels. At the W end of the nave is a 4-centred archway containing double panelled doors, with plastering beneath the arch. To its L is a C19 octagonal stone font with moulding to base of bowl, on an octagonal stem. Central aisle flanked by pews which have carved rosettes to the bench ends. Large wooden pulpit to NE, the recessed panels containing earlier, possibly Jacobean work, probably from the medieval church. Ornate chancel arch, the wide 4-centred arch with several orders of roll mouldings, supported on large carved wooden capitals on short black marble shafts, sprung from carved corbels; the capitals and corbels are decorated with oak and chestnut leaves, ears of corn and doves to the latter. Two steps up to chancel which has a 3-bay arched-brace roof. The trusses are light, with incised circles to the braces and King posts. Encaustic tile floor. Choir stalls with panelled fronts. One step up to sanctuary; wooden altar rail with turned balusters, open trefoiled arches, the spandrels with rosette decoration, and a dentilled handrail. The double doors at the W end of the nave lead to an entrance passage, opposite which is the chamber beneath the belfry. Three large chamfered wooden posts support large cross-beams on wooden plates; these support the belfry and are probably C17. The chamber is now divided, with vestry to S side. There is no stained glass in the church. The monuments are all C19 and include: in the chancel, a slate tablet with trefoiled-arched head, in a decorated stone surround with triangular head supported on foliated shafts, to Henry Humphrys (d. 1824) and his wife Jane (d. 1842). Opposite, a shaped marble tablet to Nicholas Bennett of Glanyrafon (d. 1847) and his relatives. In the nave, a stone tablet with triangular head supported on marble shafts with foliate capitals, with a coat of arms to the apex, to Evan Woosnam of Badioch (d. 1837).  

Reason for designation
Listed as an accomplished Gothic-revival church in a village setting retaining architectural character.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]