Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Owain Glyndwr's Parliament House
Set into a continuous row of frontages midway along the street, opposite the enterance to Plas Macynlleth and to the left of the Owain Glyndwr Institute.
Traditionally this is the building where Owain Glyndwr held a parliament in 1404 after being crowned Prince of Wales however origins of this structure are probably later and the site of the parliament is undocumented. The existing building may be C15 in origin but has been extensively rebuilt particulary by David Davies of Llandinam who purchased it in 1906; re opened 20th February 1912. He aimed to provide a social centre for the town. The present rubble exterior is an interpretation of its C15 appearance (pre-1911 photographs showing it to have been storeyed).
6 bays with narrow voussoirs to 2 and 3-light windows (diamond leaded glazing) and to the tall boarded and studded door near the left end. Tall slate roof with rubble end chimney stacks. Vertical masonry break to right of centre at ground floor level. Set back to the right is a pointed arch gateway, with pitched slate roof and boarded gates linking the Parliament House to the Institute. 8-bay 2-storey rear with steps at right end up to arched enterance with gable over. Hipped dormer roofs over 3 tall 1st floor windows, paired to left and similar diamond leaded glazing. 4 windows to centre over pointed arch main rear enterance, more acutely pointed window to right. Various masonary breaks and fossils visible.
The garden is above the level of the Parliament House and the terrace is bordered by low wall with ball finials.
The interior is now an exibition centre. Lofted at both ends with 2 service rooms in line. Winding stairs to E end with panelled dado, tall newel finials and barley twist balusters. Arched collar trusses (of C15 type) to open bays with through purlins; three bays with windbraces. Lofted bays have tie beam and queen strut trusses and small windows. Central partition formerly with screen to base; exhibition boards hide wall panelling. Fireplace below E end loft; formerly screen below to W end where the wattle and daub is partly exposed.
Reason for designation
Listed Grade I because of the great importance to Welsh history.
Group value with neighbouring listed items.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]