Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Parish Church of St Mary
Situated in open churchyard above B4594, on NW side of village centre.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
C13 perhaps with earlier origins, restored 1910 an 1982.
C13 nave and chancel both widened and heightened in C14. C14 north aisle, C14/15 south porch, C13 tower with C18 broach spire, vestry lean-to in NW corner. Coursed random rubble, (various building phases visible) stone tiled roof, slate to base of spire, shingled upper, 1709 weathervane. Corner buttresses to nave and chancel, coping stones to east end of nave and rare early sanctus bellcote. C13 pointed arch south priests door, C13 single and paired lancets to south wall of nave, one to west of porch is modern. Large C16 Perp. windows in red sandstone to chancel, Dec. east window with renewed tracery. Two curious re-set C14/15 trefoil-head light above, middle stages have string course and ventilation slits, belfry stage - large squared openings with louvres. Porch has chamfered pointed arches, heavy tie-beam and collar roof with apex braces, cusped windbraces, stone wall benches, flag-stone floor.
Churchyard: Numerous chest tombs. First World War memorial cross on medieval stepped base with small Easter recess.
Boarded south door with very elaborate strap hinges. C15 nave roof, of type rare in Radnorshire, arch-braced close set rafters over crown post and arch braced tie-beam. Feet of hammer posts rest on stone corbels, two above the aisle arcade are male/female heads. Offset chancel arch with asymmetrical soffit chamfers, probably C13 base, enlarged C14 head, chancel roof C16 arch braced rafters with plain boss decoration, chamfered purlins, quatrefoil windbraces. Earlier roof line visible. Stoup formed from re-used foliated E.E. capital, piscina with pointed arch. C14 north arcade of three bays with responds, octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double chamfered soffit. Piscina for aisle altar. Plain circular C13 font, stone pulpit 1749, parish chest 1692. Furnishings mainly 1910 in Gothic style. Angel lectern 1922, five bells cast 1719 Rudhall of Gloucester, frame in poor condition. Sanctus bell 1921.
Reason for designation
Included at grade I as a handsome church, largely of medieval date, which retains its openwork timber roofs.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]