Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Michael
Sited in large churchyard, with a few chest tombs, uphill from road junction in middle of the settlement.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Probably C13 restored 1869 by Thos. Nicholson.
Small-scale medieval fabric Nave, chancel, low west tower with saddleback roof, south porch, gabled vestry attached to north wall of chancel. Rubble stone, stone tile roof with ridge cresting and crosses. C19 paired and single lancets in contrasted ashlar. Unusually, there is no E window to chancel. Single lancet and small slit openings to lower stages of tower, tall lancets with louvres to belfry.
Plain plastered walls to nave, flagstone floor. Wide pointed arch door to tower. Slender arch-braced roofs. Pierced arcade over cusped timber arch dividing nave/chancel roofs, by Nicholson. Fine C15 screen restored with renewed embattled headrail and wall posts by Nicholson. Four lights either side of wide opening, slender moulded mullions, crocketed finials to mullions and standards, chamfered tracery and flattened ogee doorhead. At the east end a feature probably unique in Wales, the partial survival of a pre-Reformation ciborium, set under a coved ceiling over the sanctuary with moulded ribs (some original, the boards are C19); the central rib has four carved head bosses, identified as a Bishop of Hereford, Henry IV, Joan of Navarre and a grotesque face - dated to c.1410. The east wall has remnants of retable framing, two slender wall posts with finials and embattled headrail, with the housings for a side (curtained?) screen. Two further tall moulded wall posts with fleurons indicate a lost presbytery screen. The brattished wall plate linking the front and rear framing into an architectural whole is original but a west facing outer arch with inverted cusping is C19. Octagonal font with tapered stem on cylindrical base (re-dressed). C17 communion table. C18/C19 memorials to Trumpers of Baynham Hall. S chancel glass 1873 by Mayer & Co, Munich and London.
Reason for designation
Included at Grade I for the national importance of the chancel interior with its medieval timber fittings.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]