Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
St. Edward's Church
Within an elevated churchyard above the River Teme to north-east of the Town centre.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Victorian Gothic rebuilding of earlier church of which the medieval west tower is the only survival- no remains of 1752 Georgian rebuild.
4-bay aisled nave in early Decorated style by S Pountney-Smith of Shrewsbury 1875-7 (cost 4,500 pounds). 3-bay Early English chancel by J L Pearson 1896-7. SW porch matched by overlapping aisle to N side of tower.
Yellow and grey rubble walls with pale freestone dressings. Tiled roofs, ridge cresting and crucifix finials to gable parapets. Stepped buttresses with set-offs, hood moulds (linked at chancel), cill bands and stone chimney to NE angle of nave clerestory.
Square-ended chancel with 3 stepped lancets above blank masonry, lancets to north and south sides. Green Price monuments at NE angle; projecting gabled organ chamber to south side with geometrical tracery to east face, trefoiled roundel to south face above small boarded door up steps. Nave with paired cusped lancets to each clerestory bay except easternmost which has double and single lancets. Early decorated 3-lights windows to aisles with alternating tracery patterns. Date of 1876 to north side drain pipe. Geometrical window to west wall of north aisle.
South porch with cusped lancet above entrance, wooden door with frame of ornamental timberwork. Medieval west tower, with projecting sprouts over high stringcourse, heightened and capped at rebuilding by 2-stage tiled pyramidal belfry with open cusped timberwork. Weathervane on top. Clock face to south with brick surround (clock by John Moore and Sons 1857). 6 Bells by Abraham Rudnall of Gloucester 1721-2.
Believed to be the only church in Wales dedicated to St Edward.
Interior with open arched truss roof to chancel supported on wall shafts stopped above dado paintings. East end lancets under single rere arch. Triple-shafted chancel arch. Cylindrical piers to nave with chamfered arcades and open timber roof with hammerbeam treatment supported by alternate wall shafts rising from arcade spandrels. Stained glass signed by T F Curtis, Ward and Hughes; east window 1897, chancel and south aisle windows 1901. Altar and stalls by Pearson, Jones and Willis.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]