Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Michael
Occupies an elevated position in the centre of Discoed, to the south of the castle mound.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Rebuilt 1869 in restrained lancet style on an ancient site and probably on the old foundations. Discoed was a chapelry of Wigmore Abbey under Presteigne.
Coursed sandstone rubble, stone tile roofs, the chancel set lower. West bell turret has pyramid base with conical spire, all slate shingled. Nave with north and south trefoil-headed paired lancets, west end with 2 plain arched lancets and blind quatrefoil in gable. Inset chancel with 3-lancet east window under round arch. North porch has open arcaded timberwork on stone base with stone tile roof, roll-moulded bargeboards and finial. North door with pointed arch.
Enclosed circular churchyard with a number of chest tombs and distinctive square box tombs with ball tops.
Nave with arch-braced roof, chancel with trussed rafter roof. Ornate partially infilled truss with battlemented tie-beam over the nave/chancel division. Octagonal C13 font on moulded base. Stained glass in east window by O'Connor, London 1869. Early black and red encaustic floor tiles re-used in the nave.
Reason for designation
R Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys, 1979, p.229
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]