Full Report for Listed Buildings
The list description is not intended to be a complete inventory of what is listed: it is principally intended to aid identification. By law, the definition of a listed building includes the entire building (i) and any structure or object that is fixed to the said building and ancillary to it and (ii) any other structure or object that forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948, and was within the curtilage of the building, and ancillary to it, on the date on which said building was first included in the list, or on 1 January 1969, whichever was later.
Date of Designation
23/06/1967
Date of Amendment
17/02/1997
Name of Property
Church of St Ddoged
Community
Llanddoged and Maenan
Location
Prominently sited in the centre of the village within a raised, circular churchyard with rubble revettment walls.
Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
History
Late Medieval double-naved church within a raised, circular churchyard, implying a Celtic site. This the Rev. Thomas Davies substantially remodelled 1838-9 with the help of his friend, the Rev. David Owen, of neighbouring Eglwysbach. Some C16 arched-light windows survive; the C19 raising, relating to the provision of new roofs, is evident on the gable ends.
Exterior
Twin-naved church of rubble construction with slate roofs; plain, over-hanging eaves and deep verges with simple curly bargeboards. Gabled N and S porches with barge-boards as before to slate roofs, feathered at the eaves. Round-arched entrances with sandstone ashlar voussoirs and projecting keystones. Similar, chamfered inner arches with recessed boarded and studded doors; simple decorative door furniture. Above the outer arch on the S side, an inset sandstone plaque inscribed: 'Rebuilt AD 1839 by T. Davies, Rector'. Single-light, wooden-framed, arched windows to the W of each porch and on the N side two similar 3-light leaded windows to the E, all C19. On the S side is a further, similar window with a stone, 3-light mullioned window of the C16 to the far R, clearly prioviding the inspiration for the C19 ones. Similar C16 stone windows to the W and E ends, the latter with returned labels, that to the L with primitive carved head stops. Simple bellcote to N aisle at W end, with arched bell opening and a shaped stone finial on top.
Interior
Plain 6-bay arcade of plastered, pointed arches on renewed timber posts; slate flagged floors and pine box pews to S aisle and western part of N aisle. Tiered box seating to W end inscribed 'Boys' and 'Girls'; a boiler room (S) and a small vestry (N) flank these. Shallow canted plaster ceilings with boxed transverse beams carried on wooden, Jacobethan-style corbels. Medieval octagonal font on a moulded base and set on a 3-tiered square plinth. On the centre of the N aisle, an octagonal C19 pulpit with simple panelled and reeded sides; reading desk below with stick-baluster stairs with geometric newel. Behind the pulpit are pointed-arched, framed paintings of Jesus and (to the R) the Royal Arms with VR monogram (despite their Hanovarian type) and Welsh inscriptions including one to 'honour the king.' Glazed ocular skylight above pulpit, with coloured glass. This arrangement of pews and pulpit is a fine North-Walian example of a pre-Oxford Movement Church.
Plain C20 altar rails to stepped-up altar and a panelled reredos containing re-used sections of late C16 secular carved panelling.Simple decorative stained glass to E window with plain and coloured quarries counterchanged to centre and borders. White marble wall tablet to Sir Thomas Kyffin of Maenan Hall (1752), with broken, curved pediment and gadrooned base with cherub's head. Further, similar tablet to Sir Thomas Kyffin of Maenan Hall (1784), by Van der Hagen the Younger, sculptor of Shrewsbury; architectural frame with urn finials and cherub's heads to base. To the L of the (S) E window, a wall tablet in black and white marble to Eleanor Jane Preston (1846) with heraldic shield above. Set into the floor in the NE corner are two primitive C17 tomb slabs, both relocated. The first is to Anne, daughter of William Owen of Bodowen, Anglesey, and Richard Kyffin of Maenan Esq., (d. 1675), and is in large, raised lettering. The second is to Jane Kyffin, d.1684.
Reason for designation
Listed grade II* as a prominent village church with Medieval origins, and as a rare surviving example of a pre-Oxford Movement interior.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]