Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St. Peter
Occupying an elevated position about 300m N of Evenjobb village; above the road leading to Whitton.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
1866-70 by T H Wyatt. Early Decorated style. Snecked sandstone facings, ashlar dressings and steep tiled roofs.
Squat proportions to church comprising nave, chancel with lean-to N vestry and angled doorway, S organ-chamber linked to S aisle with porch-tower and broach spire. Coped gables with stone finials, stepped buttresses to angles, polygonal stair turret to SW corner of tower. 3-light traceried E window with Geometric head, similar 2-light windows to W end and N side of nave. Impaled trefoils to traceried lancets, paired cusped lights to S aisle. Paired early C13-style bell-openings with foliage capitals and oculi grouped under superarches. Outer and inner S doorways with nook shafts, hoodmoulds and double boarded inner doors with strapwork hinges.
Straightforward colourwashed interior with Bath stone (?) dressings. Boarded tunnel roof to chancel with single pointed opening to S organ chamber matched by recess on N wall. E window glass by Clayton and Bell, 1896. Moulded chancel arch with dwarf granite surface on tripartite corbels; fine wrought-iron chancel-screen with crucifix over central "gable", foliage crestings etc. Open nave roof with scissor-arched braces; 2-bay S aisle with dying-back corbels and round pier. Circular stone font with spire cover.
Reason for designation
Included for its prominence in landscape to N of Evenjobb.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]