Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
On an elevated coastal site near the town Hall, reached by path in front of Castle House.
Late C18 Castle replaced probably C12 earthwork destroyed in 1215 by Llewelyn the Great; some late C15 reconstruction; referestration and reconstruction by Sir John Perrot 1587 to 1592. Partly destroyed in the Parliamentarian siege of 1644 under General Rowland Laugharne; subsequently pillaged for the building of town houses.
5-sided inner ward constructed of old red sandstone rubble with some freestone dressings; crenellated parapets (some ornamental), spur buttresses etc.
Earliest part consists of 2 round towers to N, ruined to NE, former keep to NW with wide embrasures late C18 conversion of basement to wine cellar and 1920/30 repairs, retains original conical dome. Towers flank later C15 4-storey hall with late C16 Perrot alterations; main rooms to 2nd floor and stair tower to N. Forward projecting 4-storey gatehouse to W of medieval and late C16 builds; gable above fine 3-storey Tudor bay window over pointed entrance arch with hood mould. Curtain wall with massive fireplace at 1st floor level links gatehouse with 3-shoot garderobe at inner end, to SW 4-storey and basement, part vaulted tower. Stone pent garderobe to S wall; ruined oriel to former hall high end with medieval postern gate beyond. E wall demolished in C17 but C18 garden wall on top of late C13 curtain wall continues NE adjoining the Gazebo.
It is amongst the most substantial castle remain in Wales.
Remains of Tudor cobbled courtyard, pitched stone kitchen floor and ground plans relating to all periods revealed through excavation
Reason for designation
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]