Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Tower of St Hilary's Church
Denbigh - Castle
Located within the walls of the old town immediately N of and below the castle.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The chapel (or church) of St Hilary was conceived from the first as an integral part of Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln's borough town foundation of c1290. As the only church within the town walls (the parish church, St Marcella's being 1.6km distant), it served the needs of both the castle garrison and the citizens of the town. Its first mention, in 1334, refers to the 'chapel within the walls' and Leland, in the 1530s, described it as a 'goodlye and large chappelle in the old towne... whither most of the new towne do yett cumme.' The church was of medium size and consisted of a nave, chancel and W tower; a N aisle was added in the early C18. Following the building of the new town church (St Mary's, Lenten Pool) in 1874, the church was abandoned; in 1923 all save the tower was demolished. A dossal fragment of 1530, known to have hung in St Hilary's until the late C19, is now at St Mary's Lenten Pool. The Tower is probably an early C14 addition to the original nave and chancel; its battlemented parapet is probably C15.
During the Civil War King Charles Ist visited the beleagured Castle governor, Colonel Salesbury, and stayed for three days. On Sunday 28th September 1645 a service was held at St Hilary's attended by the King, the Archbishop of York, Lord Keeper Williams and various other dignitaries.
Square, 3-stage embattled church tower, approximately 14m high. Of limestone rubble with green and red/brown sandstone dressings. Pointed-arched W entrance with inner arch; continuous moulding with no capitals. This has a ribbed, boarded door, probably C16 with restorations. The second stage has single lights to the S and N faces; paired, arched windows to the bell stage, with horizontal wooden slatting. Crenellated parapet above a simple stringcourse, with simple projecting sandstone gargoyles.
The W gable of the nave survives, and has a blocked four-centred arch to the tower.
Reason for designation
Listed Grade I for its special importance as the tower to the former garrison church of Denbigh's medieval castle and walled town.
Scheduled Ancient Monuments (AM 5 RCAM 127).
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]