Full Report for Listed Buildings
The list description is not intended to be a complete inventory of what is listed: it is principally intended to aid identification. By law, the definition of a listed building includes the entire building (i) and any structure or object that is fixed to the said building and ancillary to it and (ii) any other structure or object that forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948, and was within the curtilage of the building, and ancillary to it, on the date on which said building was first included in the list, or on 1 January 1969, whichever was later.
Date of Designation
24/10/1950
Date of Amendment
20/07/2000
Name of Property
The Forum Cafe
Unitary Authority
Denbighshire
Location
Within the colonnaded row.
History
The colonnaded island row to which this building belongs is shown in John Speed's 1610 map of Denbigh and represents post-medieval encroachment onto the market place. Originally timber-framed, the row retains its original covered lower stage, although the columns are mostly replacements of the C18 and C19. This feature is known locally as the Piazza, or 'Y Bylciau' and implies a conscious urbanity and unity of intention which reflects Denbigh's growing significance and self-assurance during the Tudor period. A watercolour by Sir Richard Colt Hoare of 1815 shows the colonnade returning as a single-storey pentise in to Crown Square, though this arrangement was swept away shortly afterwards.
This building retains much of its timber-framed character internally and has a very fine second-quarter C17 well stair rising through three floors. A moulded oak bressummer carrying the upper floors implies, however, an earlier, perhaps second-half C16 origin. The building served as an inn for many generations and may even have been built as such; it was called 'the Talbot' from at least the mid C19.
Exterior
Two-and-a-half storey building of 2 bays. Rendered red brick facade with timber-framed core under a slate roof. The ground floor has modern shop windows; the upper floors are jettied-out over the pavement and has a moulded oak bressummer carried on 4 Tuscan stone columns. The first floor has 2 Victorian sashes with segmental heads and corbelled sills. A modern metal hanging sign is attached to the wall between the two and projects outwards towards the street. The attic floor has a broad catslide dormer with paired sash windows breaking the eaves; sill as before.
Interior
Exposed ceiling beams to ground and first floors; stopped-chamfered (some ogee) with heavy keying in places. Behind the main ground-floor room is the stairwell. This has a very fine full-height second-quarter C17 narrow well stair which rises through three floors to the attic where it terminates in a short gallery. The stair is of oak and has moulded, pierced and shaped balusters with square newels. These have strapwork relief carving to their faces and nail-head decoration to a broad string; geometric pendants and similar finial to the ground-floor newel (the remainder lost), with moulded rail. On the first floor are 2 stopped-chamfered entrances and a C20 brick fireplace; timber-framed partition truss to the attic floor.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special interest as a timber-framed building with probable early Tudor origins, retaining good external character and with very fine C17 well stair; one of a colonnaded row of buildings forming a significant element in the sub-medieval morphology and aspirations of the town.
Group value with other listed items in High Street.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]