Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated approximately 1.5km N of Cynghordy crossing the valley of the Afon Bran.
Railway viaduct built for the Central Wales Line by Henry Robertson in 1867-8. A narrow viaduct of 1000' (305m) length and 109' (33m) height, of 18 arches, built on a curve. Henry Robertson, ironmaster and engineer, was the engineer also to the Shrewsbury and Chester line, and the Ruabon to Dolgellau line which included the Vale of Llangollen Railway. He designed the outstanding viaducts at Cefn Mawr and Chirk, both of 1846-8, and the station at Ruabon 1860.
Railway viaduct of stone to slightly curving plan. 18 round-headed arches, of great height, yellow brick to arches in 6 bands. Stonework is rock-faced massive rubble, carefully dressed to leave a smooth angle to the piers, which are splayed out at the feet. Below the springing of each arch towards the top of each pier are square projecting blocks, perhaps for erecting wooden scaffolding under arch. Stone flat parapets.
Reason for designation
Graded II* as a masonry railway viaduct of outstanding landscape value, notable for the careful detail, the extreme attenuation of the piers and the subtle curve in plan.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]