Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Small ironwork bridge spanning the River Taff immediately downstream from junction of Taf Fawr and Taf Fechan. Reached by an access road descending diagonally from Pont-y-Cefn (A470) and through EFI Industrial Estate.
Believed to date from ca 1794 (probably the earliest known iron railway bridge). Originally carried a tramroad (4-foot gauge) from Cyfarthfa Ironworks immediately to S.
Coursed rubble abutments support a pair of A-frame trusses with braces and vertical "king-posts"; raised brackets to cross-girder ends. Straight ironwork girders to deck which retains some chairs and seating from tramroad; modern metal handrails except for one original section flanking approach path on E bank.
Scheduled Ancient Monument: Gm424
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]