Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Temple of Peace & Health
To R of Bute Building, facing Welsh Office building.
1937-8; by Sir Percy Thomas. A building of classical proportions but with indirect reference only to details of classical orders, rather in the manner of public buildings in Germany and Italy in the 1930s. Conceived by Lord Davies of Llandinam to promote peace and health as memorial to fallen in Great War.
Portland stone ashlar, pantiled roofs. Entrance (NE) elevation has high centre block flanked by 2-storey wings. Centre has portico with 4 square pillars supporting slab entablature with roundels and flat modillion cornice. Tall bronze window frames (central frame runs down as doorframe). To either side, 6 bay wing with hipped tiled roof with ridge lower than parapet of centre block; projecting cornice; tall rectangular windows to ground and first floors; much shallower windows to basement (small-pane metal casements). Behind centre, at right angle, hall.
Lobby and vestibule with coloured marble floor and facings. Temple-like hall with fluted piers of black Italian marble, veined with gold; coffered ceiling painted green and gold; tall side windows line narrow aisles. Small vaulted chapel in crypt below.
Reason for designation
Listed as striking building by South Wales' leading architect of C20, a rare example of this style in Wales. Group value with other listed buildings in Cathays Park.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]