Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Hangar and Annexes
Situated on E side of main Dockyard avenue, SE of Sunderland House.
1934-5 large 'B' type hangar, built as one of a pair for maintenance of RAF seaplanes.
Riveted steel girder frame, 162ft 7ins by 121ft 4ins (49.53m x 36.96m) with saw-tooth ridged roof of half-bays each end and 5 between. Concrete-encased steel piers 59ft 9ins (18.21m) high to angles and up to each gable apex, steel uprights between. Concrete infill between to a height of 30 ft. (9.14m) and corrugated iron cladding to upper half. Steel gantry around below gables. E front clear opening of 160 ft by 40 ft (48.76m x 12.19m) with six large rolling steel doors with spaced steel plating to allow gravel infill against bomb fragments. Rendered and painted two-storey flat-roofed range on S side, single storey ranges to W and N.
Reason for designation
One of only two surviving seaplane hangars of this type in England and Wales (there were two overseas at Gibraltar and Seletar). Base opened 1930 and two squadrons were deployed initially, more in wartime when the base played a major role in convoy protection. Closed 1959, the last flying-boat withdrawn February 1957.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]