Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Graving Dock including Bollards and Cpstans
Situated between Western Camber and slip No 2, towards NW end of dockyard.
Dry dock is shown to present outline on 1858 map, where the length is given as 406 feet and width 91 feet. An 1832 plan in Public Record office shows a smaller 250 feet dry dock (ADM/140/429). There are records of the dock being enlarged 1858-61. (The Builder 9/1/1858, 9/3/1861).
Mid C19 dry dock, originally constructed c1820 but thoroughly remodelled in mid C19. Large scale with stepped sides of limestone ashlar and granite copings. Five steps (or 'altars') and one broad lowest step and three sets of steps down each side alternating with three chutes. Seaward end is narrowed with battered walls and slot for securing caisson. Ashlar quay wall extends each side, to No 2 Slip to W and Western Camber to E. S end narrows in with flights of steps down each side, that to E covered or removed for roadway. E end has been extended back in mass concrete, and accommodates (1993) former caisson, a steel-plated timber decked vessel formerly floated and lowered across dock entry.
Some 12 bollards each side all made by Sturges and Co, Bowling Ironworks, Bradford. Some damaged capstans, one to NE, one each side at S end, made by H. Grissell of Regents Park Ironworks, London ?1859.
Reason for designation
Grade II* for its national importance as the best surviving dry dock in the Dockyard. Group value with other listed structures in Pembroke Dockyard.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]