Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Former Dockyard Chapel
Situated in SE corner of Dockyard at E end of formal avenue in front of Nosá1-5 The Terrace.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Listed II* as centrepiece of formal layout of The Terrace with which the Chapel groups. In 1844 W Edye, Master Shipwright, laid out gardens of avenue leading up to W front. Thought to be the only Georgian classical church to survive in South Wales.
1830-2 former Royal Dockyard Chapel, designed by George Ledwell Taylor (1788-1873), Civil Architect to the Navy 1824-37. Late Georgian chapel in unpainted stucco with minimal limestone ashlar details, slate roof behind parapets and domed square W tower. W front is set on broad flight of five-plus-four granite steps with massive square flanking blocks. Projecting 3-bay centre with pilasters, entablature and pediment. Cornice moulding of entablature and pediment is of stone. Three blank panels above three doors, larger to centre with moulded architrave and cornice, narrower outer doors have moulded architraves and a plain band above, at level of main door cornice. Doors are double with high overlights each of four framed lights. Tower over pediment has ashlar base, plain paired pilasters each side of louvred rectangular bell-opening, entablature and semi-circular dome.
Main W wall of church is set back with plinth, angle pilasters, entablature, ashlar band at sill level of side windows and raking parapet. Similar 5-window sides with pilasters, sill-band in ashlar between, and moulded ashlar surround to tall arched windows, which have original iron small-paned glazing. E end has projecting centre with entablature and parapet carried round and one similar E window, C20 glazing. Plain E gable behind. Various C20 additions obscuring lower levels. C20 door on S side wall, breaking sill-band.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 381.
Derelict with lead partly removed from dome. Interior in 1981 had plastered walls, fielded panels to dado level, plaster ceiling with ornate cornices and wooden W gallery.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]