Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Porthkerry Viaduct (partly in the Barry community)
Vale of Glamorgan
To the north of the main carpark in Porthkerry Country Park and crossing into Barry Community.
Built 1894-1900. First opened in 1897 as a part of the Vale of Glamorgan Railway from Barry to Bridgend, engineer J W Szlumper (with Charles Szlumper and William Szlumper). First completed in 1896 but parts of the viaduct subsided 10th January 1898, and the railway had to be diverted via a loop-line until 1900. This was one of the last major masonry viaducts completed in Britain. The Vale of Glamorgan became a part of the Great Western Railway at Grouping in 1923.
Coursed quarry faced grey stone with brick arch rings. Irregular spans to sixteen semi-circular arches; tall tapering stone piers, with plinths of varying height; brick arches, maximum height circa 30 metres; stone parapet with corbelled refuges over every second pier. The viaduct crosses the steep valley of the stream which forms the eastern boundary of Rhoose Community, and is partly in Barry Community.
Reason for designation
Included as one of the most impressive railway viaducts in South Wales.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]