Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
West Shelter and Amusement Arcade
Vale of Glamorgan
On the seafront promenade at the western end of Whitmore Bay
Constructed c.1923 as part of the development of Barry Island as a seaside resort. The island had from the beginning of the C19 been used as a seaside resort and from 1897 Lord Windsor of Friars Point House had begun to develop the foreshore of Whitmore Bay with the construction of a Promenade and Pleasure Grounds with the intention of promoting Barry Island as a popular seaside resort. In 1909 he gifted the land between the high watermark of Whitmore Bay and Friars Road to the Barry Urban District Council who then drew up plans for further development of the island primarily as a democratic seaside resort aimed at the working classes of the industrial areas of south Wales. The First World War delayed this from happening but by the early 1920's the Council were able to bring about their improvements and the island quickly became a popular resort with crowds of around 100,000 people visiting on Bank holidays and summer weekends.
Open shelter in Classical style. Tall single storey concrete structure spanning the seafront promenade and set within the seafront wall. Nine bays divided by paired Tuscan columns with full entablature and pannelled pediment above. Extension to the rear housing amusement arcades.
Reason for designation
Included for its historic interest as an integral component of the complex of structures constructed during the inter-war period at Barry Island as part of the development of the Island as a seaside resort. Important also for its architectural value as a good example of a well designed and well preserved seafront shelter of definite quality and for its group value with the other structures of the inter-war and earlier developments.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]