Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Knucklas Railway Viaduct
Spanning the valley on the W of the village.
On a section of the Central Wales Railway built by the LNWR 1862-4, and opened for passenger traffic from Knighton to Llandrindod Wells in 1865. The engineer was Henry Lote.
A 13-bay viaduct of snecked, rock-faced stone. Tapering piers, the quoins of which are partly rebuilt in blue brick, carry round arches. The corbelled parapet has battlements with saddleback copings. Abutments have higher round turrets with blind arrow loops and corbelled, embattled parapets. Lower terminal square piers have similar detail.
Reason for designation
Listed grade II* as a striking railway viaduct with architectural embellishment that celebrates the heroic achievements of C19 civil engineering.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]