Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Road bridge over Teifi between Castle Street, Bridgend, and Bridge Street.
Probably early C18 road bridge, widened 1872-3. The date of the first stone bridge is obscure. It was still of wood in 1598. References to a 7-arch bridge, repeated by Meyrick 1810, are confusing as 1741 and later C18 views seem to show present structure but there is the small flood arch at the south end and may have been one similar at the north to account for the discrepancy. The cut stone arches suggest a C18 date and are similar to those on the bridge at Newcastle Emlyn. Mr Lewis, Carmarthen, was the contractor for the 1872-3 work, probably to plans by J Szlumper, County Surveyor for Cardiganshire.
Blue lias rubble stone 5-arch bridge with recessed cut-stone voussoirs to arches, cutwaters on both sides, those on west obscured in 1872-3 widening. On east side cutwaters are carried up full height to form pedestrian refuges, except for one to south of centre which is capped short with plaque above 'This arch was built in the year 1726
W Jones', but plaque may be reset as cutwater is shown full height in mid C18 prints. A small flood arch is at south end.
On west side original arches can clearly be seen under 1872-3 more elliptical arches, springing from the cutwaters. Similar cut stone voussoirs.
Reason for designation
Group value. Scheduled Ancient Monument: CD003.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]