Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Old Armoury
Between Berwyn Street and Hall Street with gable end facing E across the area known as Victoria Square. Now the International Eisteddfod Office.
Built in 1835 in sombre Tudorbethan manner.
2-storey; rubble laid in courses of diminishing sizes with plinth and freestone dressings (heavily tooled). Slate roof and end chimney stacks; old photographs show there to have been formerly a raised clerestory to centre; stone kneelers to gable parapets. Multipane mullioned windows with architraves. Front facing Victoria Square has 3-light window over main entrance with bracket sided panel between; further small panel over boarded and studed door. 2+1-windows facing Berwyn Street, to left - 2-light to 1st floor, barred to ground floor. Beyond and slightly set back is the 1-window Old Armoury with stringcourse midway up 1st floor level; 1-light small pane casement over plain shop front. Similar elevation to Hall Street, the 1-window part is also slightly set back on this side. 2 light window to ground floor and studded door in similar surround.
Brick arched cellars retained internally. Barred and now blocked up windows on dividing wall to W indicate that this was an outside wall and that the Old Armoury is later. 4 bay open roof to main part.
Reason for designation
Group value with Rehoboth Chapel, The Old Bank and No 4 Berwyn Street.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]