Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
10998
Building Number
9  
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
26/02/1981  
Date of Amendment
18/06/2004  
Name of Property
NO.9 MARKET SQUARE,,,,,DYFED,  
Address
9 Market Square  

Location


Unitary Authority
Carmarthenshire  
Community
Llandovery  
Town
 
Locality
 
Easting
276736  
Northing
234381  
Street Side
NW  
Location
Situated opposite Memorial Fountain.  

Description


Broad Class
Commercial  
Period
 

History
Town house, possibly of C17 origins rebuilt in late C18 to early C19. Formerly known as Glenview, occupied in 1810 by Mrs Davies. In 1836 owned by John Morgan, attorney, died 1852, and then by his heirs. In the 1890s owned Rev D Price, rented as a ladies' boarding school to the 1890s when occupied by Dr R J Owen, died 1901, who used No 9 with No 7 as a nursing home and surgery. In C20 known as The Drovers Restaurant. The late C17 doorcase uncovered inside c1985 in lath and plaster party wall to No 11 looks like an external door, either moved or an outer door of No 11 which would then be an older property. The varied ground floor windows suggest an older building refurbished c1800. There is evidence inside that there was a throughway through the ground floor right side, but this had gone before photograph of c1895 which shows ground floor as now.  

Exterior
Town house in informal terrace, 3 broad bays and 3 storeys with slate gabled roof and rendered end chimneys, large square chimney to left shared with No 11. Boxed eaves. Painted stucco facade with long and short quoins to left and right. Plinth. Square horned 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor, hornless 12-pane sashes to 1st floor, regularly aligned. Ground floor has unaligned 12-pane hornless one to left and two to right of door set slightly left of centre. Recessed fielded 6-panel door with overlight and fluting to door frame. Panelled reveals. Timber doorcase of panelled pilasters with entablature blocks in frieze and shelf cornice. Plain rectangular overlight with fluted bands below. Rear is roughcast with earlier C20 window each floor to left and large roughcast rear wing to centre with flat boarded eaves and end stack, one first floor E 12-pane window and lean-to on N side. Addition beyond at right angles, rubble stone with brick window surrounds, probably earlier C20, 2-storey, 3-window range overlooking rear lane.  

Interior
Entrance hall has reeded ceiling border, elliptical hall arch. Front left and right rooms partially opened out into single space. Left room has door in W party wall to No 11, of late C17 to early C18 date, chamfered oak frame with run-out stops, plank door with cover strips and wrought iron strap hinges. Ceiling in 2 panels with encased beam, early C19 reeded borders. Fireplace renewed between elliptical-arched recesses, narrow to left, broad to right, each with plaster panelled soffit. Window surround has early C19 reeding and square corner blocks and horizontal fluting in reveals. Panelled shutters with planted mouldings and similar panels to soffit and below sill. Part of cobbled floor and 2 oak steps found. Right room altered, E part was once a carriageway through to rear yard. Two-panel ceiling with plastered beam, reeded half-column and paterae to 2 window surrounds, with panelled shutters, reveals and soffits. Thick wall between front range and rear wing. Rear room has C19 moulded cornice and stone fireplace with cut stone voussoirs to cambered arch. Timber lintel in wall above. Staircase to rear left enclosed in stair tower, winding around square centre masonry pier. Rear wing has later C19 stairs with turned newels and finials. First floor of rear wing has 2 windows to E, 2 encased beams, C20 fireplace, panelled shutters and soffits to both windows. Small room with 2-panel ceiling with reeded borders, reeded window surround with square angle blocks, 6-panel door. Door into front range from rear wing has moulded surround with square angle blocks. Front range first floor has panelled shutters and surrounds with square angle blocks. Attic has oak collar trusses, mostly concealed, panelled doors.  

Reason for designation
Included as a house of C17 origins, remodelled and retaining a fine late Georgian front. Group value with other buildings in the Market Square.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export