Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Ynysmeudwy Uchaf Overbridge on Swansea Canal
Neath Port Talbot
Situated approximately 60m SE of the Cwm Du bridge carrying the A4067 over the canal.
Canal bridge, late C18, over the Swansea Canal. The 16-mile Swansea Canal was opened in 1798 to Hen Neuadd, Abercraf, declined after the railway opened in 1852 and closed in 1931. The ruins of the former Ynysmeudwy Pottery Brickworks and later Bryn Tinplate works lie to the south. The iron ribs on the underside were added to strengthen the bridge at the expense of the Bryn Tinplate works. The tinplate works were built in 1880 on the site of the pottery which had closed in 1877.
Canal overbridge, rubble stone single arch bridge. Segmental arch with tooled cut stone voussoirs and soffit of 5 iron ribs bolted on each end. Parapets of large rubble stone slabs only on NW the rest presumably removed and repaired with cement. Small buttress on NE towpath side. This side also has a ramp access to towpath level.
Reason for designation
Included as an intact canal overbridge of the late C18.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]