Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
R C Church of St Joseph
Tall church building overlooking valley with St John’s Church, Hafod, opposite, long flank to street.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
1886-8. Designed by Pugin and Pugin, architects of London (cost £10,000).
Plan form of apsidal chancel flanked by side chapels, 7-bay aisled nave with W chapel and baptistry, NW polygonal tower with spire, twin W porches. Decorated style.
Coursed bull-nosed masonry. Bath stone dressings, red Dumfries stone to nave piers and responds. Modern pantile roof. W front with finial to gable parapet, small arched opening over 4-light Geometric traceried window, flanking buttresses, lancets to NW turret with openwork timber-bellcote and spirelet; twin pointed doorways with traceried tympana to W porches, figure of St Joseph in tabernacle.
Buttressed clerestory with 3-light traceried windows and to outer gable of SW baptistry; triple lancets to buttressed aisles; openwork finials to angles of E nave gable. E end with lower traceried clerestory and 3 light E window under corbelled gable with finial. Wheel window and headstops to overlapping chapel at SE side.
Enclosed churchyard with tall Celtic Cross War Memorial (1919) at W end. Presbytery joined to E end.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]