Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Aberdulais Basin at the head of the Tennant Canal
Neath Port Talbot
Approximately 0.4km N of Tonna village on the E side of the River Neath and W of the Neath Canal.
The Tennant Canal, engineered by William Kirkhouse, was begun in 1821 and opened in 1824 from the Neath Canal at Aberdulais to Port Tennant, Swansea. The interchange basin is at the head of the Tennant Canal and linked the Neath and Tennant Canals. A dry dock was also built on its SE side. Traffic on the Tennant Canal declined from the 1860s due to competition with railways but the canal did not close to commercial traffic until 1934.
An irregular shaped, stone-lined basin approximately 100m x 20m, part filled with reeds and rushes at the time of inspection (October 1999). At the NE end it joins the Neath Canal (beneath Pont Gam), while the SW end, now infilled, joined the Aberdulais Aqueduct. A concrete slipway on the SE side originally connected with a dry dock (now infilled).
Reason for designation
Listed for its industrial archaeological interest as an early C19 canal structure, and for group value with other associated listed items on the Tennant Canal at Aberdulais.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]